SQL And App-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1. Whats the size taken in SQl server to save the apps details (Ex: if the apps is 1GB , aprox how much space SQl consumes to save the details about the apps)

2. Can we able to locate the info file of the apps in SQL server. If so whts the location?

3. Can any one give brief exp about User Vol settings file and Global File settings in the client machine.

Thank U

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

1. The SQL database only contains references to the location you have placed the files in. No files are stored within the database.

2. No files are saved within the database.

3. See this blog article,
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2009/03/26/how-app-v-uses-your-system-drive.aspx

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:19 AM
    1. The size of the App-V package has no relation to what's stored about that package in the database. See this whitepaper for server sizing guidlines: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161042F3-9CDE-45F7-BC20-4FBDA8888890/AppV45_ServerSizingGuide_Final.docx
    2. All information about the imported packages are stored in the database not a file. Use SQL Management Studio to view the database tables
    3. http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2009/03/26/how-app-v-uses-your-system-drive.aspx

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by CBERV Friday, February 17, 2012 4:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:21 AM
  •  Thank U Aaron..

the link which u specified was very informative.

plz explore me about  "UsrVol_sftfs_v1.pkg" and another "GlblVol_sftfs_v1_<SID>.pkg","GlblVol_sftfs_v1_S-1-5-20.pkg "...

what is SID , from where it ll locate? and what is "S-1-5-20" in Glblvol_sfts file.

Thank U

Vignesh.R

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:15 AM
  • See this KB article: Well-known security identifiers in Windows operating systems

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by CBERV Friday, February 17, 2012 4:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

The article about  security identifier was informative 

I have been sequenced the apps by using the  FILE protocol  to implement in the standalone without stream model.and changed the following registry keys too in the client.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Softgrid\4.5\Client

• Network\Online = 0
    • Configuration\RequireAuthorizationIfCached = 0
    • Configuration\AllowIndependentFileStreaming = 0
    • Permissions\ToggleOfflineMode = 0 (Recommended)
    • Network\LimitDisconnectedOperation = 0 (Recommended)

But when i m launching the shortcut its prompting  the error like "you dont have sufficient permission to launch ".Error code xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-0000180B . Here in ASR i kept blank message , what should i do here... Guide me to get rresolve this.

Did i need to specify the computername of that client machine in ASR ? to implement in the Standalone mode.

Thank U

Vignesh.R

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:46 AM
  • If you're using FILE as a streaming source, AllowIndependentFileStreaming needs to be set to 1.

Also consider using the ApplicationSourceRoot property of the client instead of hard coding the OSD file.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Hi..

If i didnt mention the ASR  in client registry for streaming the apps from mgmt server model, will it work..?Is it the mandatory one ?

Vignesh.R

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

Still i m not clear about what should i mention in ASR for imlementing in standalone mode.

plz clarify me about it...

Vignesh.R

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:57 AM
  • How to Configure the Client for Application Package Retrieval

• Marked as answer by CBERV Friday, February 17, 2012 4:13 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:02 AM