none
Using Back Button in Wizard Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have been editing the CustomSettings.ini so that different task sequences install different pieces of software. See the below for an example (there is more but I have removed some);

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID,Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

'Default Settings
    [Default]
    _SMSTSOrgName=Super Amazing Place                        deploy01
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipPackageDisplay=TRUE
    InputLocale=en-GB
    SystemLocale=en-GB
    UserLocale=en-GB
    KeyboardLocale=en-GB
    EventService=http://DEPLOY01:9800

'Adobe Reader
    Applications001={43558e95-034e-4a98-acae-75ab0fbdaa9f}

'Quicktime
    Applications005={778f6ba9-e9a8-454d-b708-18516a9aefa3}

'Build2 Settings
    [0015]

'AppV 4.6
    MandatoryApplications001={f2f2222c-c8e5-47f0-bed9-6ec7837bc088}

All seems to work however I have found an issue. If I choose the task sequence Build2 [0015] in the Wizard but then decide to go back and choose the normal build (Build1 [0010]) it will still apply the Build2 [0015] settings and have the box for AppV 4.6 [MandatoryApplications001] ticked. It also happens the other way around so if I choose Build1 [0010] and then find I need to go back to Build2 [0015] it will not have any of the Mandatory Applications ticked.

This could be a major problem as we have several complicated builds and it is quite possible someone might choose the wrong build/task sequence at the first step and then click back to change it. If the person building the machine has not checked the applications (and why would they the build is meant to determine software) it could mean software being installed on the wrong machines which may have licencing implications.

I know that you can complete the software install in the task sequence itself but I want it to be a shown option (even if it is Mandatory) during the Wizard.

All help apppreciated.

Monday, March 3, 2014 5:01 PM

All replies

• I have been editing the CustomSettings.ini so that different task sequences install different pieces of software. See the below for an example (there is more but I have removed some);

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID,Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

'Default Settings
    [Default]
    _SMSTSOrgName=Super Amazing Place                        deploy01
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipPackageDisplay=TRUE
    InputLocale=en-GB
    SystemLocale=en-GB
    UserLocale=en-GB
    KeyboardLocale=en-GB
    EventService=http://DEPLOY01:9800

'Adobe Reader
    Applications001={43558e95-034e-4a98-acae-75ab0fbdaa9f}

'Quicktime
    Applications005={778f6ba9-e9a8-454d-b708-18516a9aefa3}

'Build2 Settings
    [0015]

'AppV 4.6
    MandatoryApplications001={f2f2222c-c8e5-47f0-bed9-6ec7837bc088}

All seems to work however I have found an issue. If I choose the task sequence Build2 [0015] in the Wizard but then decide to go back and choose the normal build (Build1 [0010]) it will still apply the Build2 [0015] settings and have the box for AppV 4.6 [MandatoryApplications001] ticked. It also happens the other way around so if I choose Build1 [0010] and then find I need to go back to Build2 [0015] it will not have any of the Mandatory Applications ticked.

This could be a major problem as we have several complicated builds and it is quite possible someone might choose the wrong build/task sequence at the first step and then click back to change it. If the person building the machine has not checked the applications (and why would they the build is meant to determine software) it could mean software being installed on the wrong machines which may have licencing implications.

I know that you can complete the software install in the task sequence itself but I want it to be a shown option (even if it is Mandatory) during the Wizard.

All help apppreciated.

Can't you use a Single task sequence and use WMI to query which apps need to be install depending on ie. make, model, ISVM, ISlaptop?
    What defines the need to different task sequences to install different pieces of software?
    Monday, March 3, 2014 8:00 PM
  • No we cant as we are a large organisation supporting thousands of devices so we have specific build for specific sections. So we have a build for section A that we use and this could be on several different make/model devices. We then have a completely different build for section B which again would be used on many different make and models.

So the build has to be chosen by the technician at the time of the build/rebuild when they know where the device is going.

Even if we could though there is still an issue with the initial problem.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:26 AM
  • What we do for my company is build a task sequence with all mandatory applications added to the task sequence.

If the build also need some optional applications I add an empty application to the task sequence. We also use a selection profile to only show a subset of optional applications.

Have you tried to add application in your task sequence? You can add as many as you need.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:49 PM
  • No we cant as we are a large organisation supporting thousands of devices so we have specific build for specific sections. So we have a build for section A that we use and this could be on several different make/model devices. We then have a completely different build for section B which again would be used on many different make and models.

So the build has to be chosen by the technician at the time of the build/rebuild when they know where the device is going.

Even if we could though there is still an issue with the initial problem.

Was there a issue before you made your changes? Also if you are using TaskSequenceID in the cs.ini have you Configure the Task Sequence's to run Gather local data and process rules (Rules file: customsettings.ini). How many TS do you have in your Cs.ini?
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:05 PM