configuring display options and saving word documents RRS feed

• Question

• I figure I'll get two questions taken care of in one post.  I installed Windows 7 Home Premium two days ago and I'm trying to adjust my display and save word documents. 

First: Display.  I like XP where you can shrink the shortcuts on the start menu so that they only show three and the rest you have to hit the >> icon to list all the other shortcuts which pop up as a list.  Does Windows 7 allow you to do that?  The default layout of having all the icons on the start menu bar is ugly.

Second: Word 2003.  I never had this problem with XP.  But with Windows 7, when I try to save a word 2003 document, it tells me the file is read-only and cannot be saved.  I can't over write the current document thats there.  Never had this issue with XP.

Thoughts?

if force didnt work, you didnt use enough stupidity is NOT a handicap!
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:06 PM

Answers

• I believe your asking about the old quick launch toolbar, unfortunately in windows 7 it does not exist. BUT hope is not lost you can enable it but it takes a bit of work and ability to follow instructions as well as a willingness to jump through hoops to get it looking like you want.

Just follow this link, it is one of many sites that tell how to re-enable it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

Now as for your word document problem try using "save as" instead, this way you name it whatever you want and it shouldn't have an issue with being saved at all.

Good Luck hope this was helpful!

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Monday, August 15, 2011 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:31 AM
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:36 PM

All replies

• I believe your asking about the old quick launch toolbar, unfortunately in windows 7 it does not exist. BUT hope is not lost you can enable it but it takes a bit of work and ability to follow instructions as well as a willingness to jump through hoops to get it looking like you want.

Just follow this link, it is one of many sites that tell how to re-enable it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

Now as for your word document problem try using "save as" instead, this way you name it whatever you want and it shouldn't have an issue with being saved at all.

Good Luck hope this was helpful!

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Monday, August 15, 2011 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:31 AM
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:36 PM
  • that did it.  Thanks!
    if force didnt work, you didnt use enough stupidity is NOT a handicap!
    Monday, August 15, 2011 5:17 PM