none
Update tasks through outlook in Project Server 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to update the task through outlook, i have imported the assignments in my outlook.

If i open the task,every option is disabled (like  the percent complete, Total Work,Actuall billable work etc),

How should i enter the actuals? 

Please help

K.Gokulraj

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi K.Gokulraj,

Please log on to PWA site and verify what is the current setting for Outlook display in PWA

PWA>>Server Settings>>Timesheet Settings and Defaults>>Outlook Display

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

I have changed to Actual,Overtime,and Scheduled hours, but still it doesn't reflect in Outlook

K.Gokulraj

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Try republishing the project plan

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I republished the plan and clicked "Import New assignment" menu, it shows no new tasks to import.

I opened the old task, still the same issue. 

K.Gokulraj

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Also in some of the tasks i see "Task Management and Timesheet" tab and for the few tasks it doesn't appear, what is the reason?

K.Gokulraj

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Is this issue is user specific?

On the side note,Outlook-add in for Project Server 2007, has been always challenge for end users. There are so many issues and problem associated with this add-in.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Hirishi's last answer is the best advice. This is one of those features that just isn't worth the aggravation. Instead, make the timesheet or Tasks page the homepage of an Outlook folder. This way the users are in PWA while they are in Outlook and not relying upon a lame piece of software. Now ask me how I really feel about the Outlook connector in 2007. :)

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In my organization we have 800 people working in MS Project Server 2007, users feel better to update their tasks in Outlook instead of opening PWA.

We are in the plan of migration of Project server 2010, but it is not possible to do that immediately since we have lot of projects.

So what would be the best option to enable the features in Outlook, do microsoft have any patches for this?

K.Gokulraj

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:45 AM
  • I can understand your concerns,but unfortunately no patches or fixes from MS

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Thanks again for your reply,

You mean that we can not enable the features and we can't use this feature effectively, is it so?

K.Gokulraj

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hi K.Gokulraj,

Yes, you can use this feature, but this will not be an easy ride since we know there are lots of issues with this add-in. It may impact your user’s experience. Please let us know how you would like to continue we can at least try to get you started on one system.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi deshpande,

Thanks for your reply.

As i mentioned before, after importing the tasks to my outlook if i try to update the tasks only Remaining work option is enabled remaining options are disabled.

I want all options  to be enabled.

K.Gokulraj

Monday, September 3, 2012 12:34 PM