Vista can't find built in speakers. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista RC1 on my HP nc8430 notebook and everything seems to work just fine exept for the built in speakers. In the device manager I see that I have a "High Definition Audio device" but in the sound properties it says that the speakers are not plugged in. When i connect my headphones it works but some how Vista doesn't recognize the built in speakers. Do I need a seperate driver for the speakers or is there a configuration I've missed?
    Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:27 AM

All replies

• I ran into this same issue and found a solution on the HP Forums. I have had the same issue, as the HP poster, of the audio going corrupt if the laptop goes into sleep mode. Sometimes a reboot fixes the issue but usually have to reinstall the driver. It doesn't appear that HP will release any Vista drivers until it is officially released.

Copy/Paste of the info from the HP thread -

1) Mass Storage Controller - yes this is the SD reader. Download the XP driver for the Texas Instruments Media Card Driver and extract the files (you will need to do this using compatability mode for XP SP2). Don't install it using the HP software though. Install it by going to Device Manager and Update Driver Manually and browse to folder.

2) HPQ0004 - This is the Mobile Data Protection System. You install this in compatability mode as normal.

3) HPQ0006 - This is the Quick Launch Buttons. Again install in compatability mode.

For the Audio

1) First download and install the latest motherboard chipset *.inf file for XP from intel at http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2300&lang=eng
    2) Install in compatability mode.
    3) Download the ADI Sound Max Driver from HP and extract the files (you will need to do this using compatability mode for XP SP2). Don't install it using the HP software though.
    4) Install it by going to Device Manager and Update Driver Manually and browse to folder.

Presto all should work. The only problem I have had is occasionaly if my computer hibernates the audio drivers will become corrupt and you will need to repeat step 4 above.

Friday, October 13, 2006 7:11 PM
  • I had the same problem when I did a fresh install of build 5600 on the nc8430.  It said that no audio output device was installed.  Oddly enough, when I installed Virtual PC and added a W2K3 VPC, the audio suddenly worked!

Now, if I go into Sleep, the audio will not work.  However if I shutdown or Hibernate, the audio output comes back.  I will be looking to HP's website very often in the next few weeks for a better driver.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:48 AM