Green Ribbon of Death RRS feed

• Question

• 64 bit Windows 7 Professional, 6Gb RAM, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz with a 1Gb connection to a Windows 2003 server.

When I open a folder on the Windows 2003 server it takes up to 5 minutes to finish loading.  The green bar moves across the top of the screen fairly quickly but stalls for the last 5% or so.

This is what I *HAVE* done so far.

Disabled autotuning

Disabled SMB 2.0

Set the folder types to "general" (I've also tried setting it to the other types, nothing has helped)

Machine is set to never show (or cache) the thumbnails.

Monday, November 8, 2010 10:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After checking this issue, I suggest you try the following steps to narrow down this issue:

1.    Test if another Windows 7 has the same issue when connect to Windows server 2003.

2.    Temporarily disable Anti-virus program to check how it works.

3.    Try to perform a clean boot to check what the result is.

4.    Update the network driver to latest.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 19, 2010 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After checking this issue, I suggest you try the following steps to narrow down this issue:

1.    Test if another Windows 7 has the same issue when connect to Windows server 2003.

2.    Temporarily disable Anti-virus program to check how it works.

3.    Try to perform a clean boot to check what the result is.

4.    Update the network driver to latest.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 19, 2010 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:49 AM
  • An open letter to Microsoft:

I see reports of the "green bar of slowness" occurring in Windows 7 and Windows 8 all over the various technical blogs with posting dates going back many years.   All sorts of guesses are suggested as silly work-arounds.   I have tried most of the saner ideas, and I still have the problem on new Windows 7 64-bit computers with the latest Microsoft updates.

By this date Windows 7 should be a well-debugged OS.    Why is "green bar of slowness" a problem that the user must wrestle with?    Why has not Microsoft fixed this problem?   Does any developer at Microsoft read these tech forums?  

If Microsoft can't fix the problem, then the Windows should display this message               

Windows is executing a needless, time-consuming task.                 

Click here to cancel this process and get on with your work.”

If anyone from Microsoft reads this, please forward this to the responsible persons to take action.   Thank you.

Respectfully submitted,

• Edited by Craig-7m Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:41 PM