MDT 2013 Selection Profile management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'd like to be able to organize my Selection Profiles by Make, Model & OS, creating sub-folders for each element as required.  But it seems the Selection Profiles element of MDT 2013 is still limited to a flat structure which means that every single profile is lumped into the same area.  I've tried editing the underlying XML file, but this doesn't seem to work.

I've currently got 71 entries for different models and that's just for Windows 7.  As we migrate to Windows 10, but continue to support Windows 7, it is just going to get worse and worse.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how Selection Profiles can be better organised?

Thanks

Mike

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 3:36 PM

Answers

• I've been using that approach for years and it's always worked perfectly. All you have to do is create a new folder in Out-of-box Drivers that matches the name of the new model you're going to deploy to.

I find it easier, I mean you have to import drivers anyway but this method keeps you from having to do more work since there's no need to make new selection profiles.

I would make note that the MAKE names I'm using work because I make use of a modelalias script.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by Lothian313 Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:56 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:37 PM

All replies

• May I ask why you have  71 entries for different models for Windows 7? What is so special/different about these Selection Profiles?

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 6:59 PM
  • If you have 71 task sequences you're doing something wrong. Use driver groups to break it down to ONE task sequence per image and let MDT inject the drivers dynamically. Work smarter not harder. Look for the Johan method of "total control" its the easiest way to do drivers in MDT.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:45 PM
  • I look after nearly 10,000 computers across 60 different sites. Believe me, there are over 70 different makes & models of computer out there!! Each selection profile points to the OOB Drivers folder with the appropriate drivers.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:05 AM
  • You should read the question again.  Nowhere does it mention Task Sequences.  Refer to my answer to MassiveSystem as to why I have so many Selection Profiles.  BTW, I actually have just one Task Sequence covering all the different models.  Prior to injecting drivers, I set the TS Variable DriverSelectionProfile in the TS to %Model% - Windows 7 or %Model% - Windows 10.  This calls the appropriate Selection Profile to inject only the drivers required for that model.

Also, I only have one image for Windows 7 x64 and one for x86 which covers all the machines I look after.

I would question why you feel the need to have multiple images?

• Edited by Lothian313 Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:12 AM
  • I believe the answer you're looking for is:

See - Total Control: Lite Touch Driver Management

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:29 PM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Apfelwurm2801 Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:15 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Hi Dan

I did use the DriverGroup approach many years ago when MDT 2010 was new.  I think I may be able to use it again, with some extra configuration, to solve my problem.  I'll leave the question open for now, but if it works I'll mark your reply as the answer.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:48 PM
  • I've been using that approach for years and it's always worked perfectly. All you have to do is create a new folder in Out-of-box Drivers that matches the name of the new model you're going to deploy to.

I find it easier, I mean you have to import drivers anyway but this method keeps you from having to do more work since there's no need to make new selection profiles.

I would make note that the MAKE names I'm using work because I make use of a modelalias script.

• Marked as answer by Lothian313 Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:56 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Just to be clear here. So you have to create a separate selection profile for each make and model? We are trying to get the drivergroup method to work but it doesn't work without creating matching selection profiles.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Just to be clear here. So you have to create a separate selection profile for each make and model? We are trying to get the drivergroup method to work but it doesn't work without creating matching selection profiles.

Thanks!

Not really, no. The beauty of the DriverGroup001 approach is that it makes driver management so easy if you follow a few basic guidelines:
    - Build a driver repository using a strict naming convention. My recommendation would be %OS%/%Vendor%/%Model%
    - Make sure your folder structure matches the Value field in the SetDriverGroup001 step: e.g. Windows 10 x64/%Make%/%Model% (which would translate to Windows 10 x64/HP/HP Elitebook 840 G3). Keep in mind that some models - mostly Lenovo‘s - report a totally different Model name (a cryptic string), which might even change from time to time. Take a look in the BDD.log how Make and Model variables are being populated. If the Model value does not match your devie you may need to ressort to ModelAlias approach.
    - Set in Inject Drivers step the Selection Profile to „none“ and select „Install all drivers from the selection profile“.

Blog - http://www.vacuumbreather.com / http://www.wcsaga.com

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:46 AM