Windows 7 seems to think that I have multiple monitors RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 34" Vizio LCD TV with RGB port for a monitor on our DTP system. Win 7 Ultimate. Mother board is Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H with on-board video which according to Device Manager is an Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Sometimes when I open a program from the task bar it disappears from the screen. I can get it back using the keyboard sequence (which I don't remember at the moment)...but it's a hassle. In addition, after discovering this, I've found that if I have a program window running in a window after clicking on <Restore down> I can move it off the screen on either side by dragging it on the top bar of the window.

Looking at the Graphics/Resolution settings for the Intel, it shows two monitors: 1)the Visio as VO370M and 2) Display Device on VGA. Could that be the source of the problem? I've tried every combination of settings for <Multiple displays> but nothing fixes it.

Can anyone suggest what's up and how to fix it?

TIA

Aboonah

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you connected your computer with Vizio LCD TV  as a PC monitor? According to your description, it seems like your problem caused by the TV connection with computer.

To fix this problem, you can try to reinstall Graphic card driver for test.

In addition, please access to Device Manager, check the list in Display adapters, if it contains two adapter, disable one of them for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

see there:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-to-set-primary-monitor-in-extended-desktop/e9aaef4e-1dc7-4139-9b4a-f5b562d4fd27

Monday, November 10, 2014 12:26 PM
  • I followed the link and tried it...but no effect.

I've never used dual monitors, so am totally unfamiliar with the process. But as I mentioned, the <Change the appearance of your displays> window shows my monitor as #1 in the <Display> selection ... #2 shows <Display device on: VGA> . I just looked on my laptop, also running Win7 Ultimate, it only shows one display in that location. I think it says <Mobile display device>.  There is no number 2.

But it all of this may be moot, because I tried to move the <Change the appearance...> window sideways off the screen both right and left and it let me do it. So it seems that that must be normal behavior.

If so, how do I keep my MS Virtual Machine installation of Virtual XP from always flying completely off the screen when I click on it at the taskbar?

Sorry, I know that's interjecting a new question, but it's the reason I originally questioned the dual monitor error.

TIA

Aboonah

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Have you connected your computer with Vizio LCD TV  as a PC monitor? According to your description, it seems like your problem caused by the TV connection with computer.

To fix this problem, you can try to reinstall Graphic card driver for test.

In addition, please access to Device Manager, check the list in Display adapters, if it contains two adapter, disable one of them for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:23 AM