Laptop can no longer run BIOS SETUP after dual-boot installation RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Business Edition and I need to suppoprt some legacy XP software so I chose to install XP in a dual boot 2nd partition. When the XP install attempted to reboot I found it failed. In fact I cannot even get into my BIOS SETUP. I have read Article ID 919529 which explains why, but I cannoit use their solution because I cannot get into my system. My Vista DVD which came with my laptop insists on re-partitioning and formatting my hard drive which I cannot do. I guess I need some minimum bootable Vista CD / DVD to perform the steps in Article ID 919529.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Once I can get Vista to re-boot I can fixup the dual boot and finish the XP installation.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:46 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Wayne,

Are you unable to boot into both Windows XP and Windows Vista?

Can you boot from the Windows Vista disk to enter Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)? As you are using a notebook, you may have a WinRE recovery partition on your computer. Please contact your computer manufacturer to know how to enter WinRE.

Please understand many computers preinstalled with Windows Vista do not support Windows XP now. If Windows XP is installed, the system will not run and some unexpected issues may occur. Therefore, I suggest contacting your computer manufacturer to confirm whether Windows XP is supported by your computer first.

If you can access WinRE, you can try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Enter Command Prompt in WinRE and type the following command:

Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.

3. Restart the computer.

Can you enter Windows Vista now?

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:19 AM