Trying to upgrade Vista Home Premium SP1 to Vista Ultimate SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a retail copy of Vista Ultimate w/ SP1 (FULL VERSION) and when I try to run install and the Upgrade feature is greyed out.  I have searched the web and successfully uninstalled SP2 from Home Premium as directed but still unable to upgrade to Vista Ultimate.  Please let me know if there is something else I am doing wrong as I do not want to have to do a clean install due to all the OEM software I have installed currently.  The part number is X12-99370-03 and the DVD states it includes a Windows Anytime Upgrade but not sure how to use it.  Please assist. I am trying to upgrade from Home Premium SP1 32 Bit to Ultimate SP1 32-Bit

Thanks,

Mike Marks
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• The Windows Anytime Upgrade option is no good to you in this situation, since the Anytime Upgrade requires you to make your upgrade purchase online, then insert the DVD so that the relevant files can be copied.

What you need to do is an "In-place" upgrade.

Are you booting from the disk or trying to run it from the desktop?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Chris:

I recently posted this on the Vista Setup forum:

Windows Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade will not Upgrade, it wants to perform a Clean Install:

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4833 with Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium already installed.  I ordered the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate for the advanced security features from the website active at the time.  After finally getting from Microsoft a version that included 64-bit product, I get the following:

At the point where the installation routine asks, "What type of installation do you want?", and my choices should be "Upgrade" or "Clean Install", the "Upgrade" choice is greyed-out, and not available.

At the bottom of the screen I get:

"Upgrade has been disabled.

- The Upgrade cannot be started.  To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are already running."

Could this problem be occuring because I have Vista Home Premium SP2 applied, and my Ultimate Anytime Upgrade only includes SP1?

Would trying to boot the Anytime Upgrade from the DVD allow me to perform the Upgrade?  Should I just use the Easy Transfer to save my settings to USB Memory Stick and perform the Clean Install, then move my settings back from Solid State Memory with Easy Transfer?

Monday, December 13, 2010 5:37 AM
  • The Windows Anytime Upgrade option is no good to you in this situation, since the Anytime Upgrade requires you to make your upgrade purchase online, then insert the DVD so that the relevant files can be copied.

What you need to do is an "In-place" upgrade.

Are you booting from the disk or trying to run it from the desktop?

How is an "In-Place" upgrade done?
    Cheers, Navy Flyer
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Q.  Could this problem be occuring because I have Vista Home Premium SP2 applied, and my Ultimate Anytime Upgrade only includes SP1?

A.  Yes.  you would need to uninstall the Windows Vista SP2 and then upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate.

Note:  An upgrade always begins at the desktop.  After uninstalling Windows Vista SP2, boot to the Windows Vista Home Premium desktop, then insert the Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade DVD disc in the DVD drive.

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:52 AM
  • Carey:

My situation is similar to the question you asked and answered above.

I recently submitted a question to the Windows Vista Setup Forum entitled "Windows Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade will not Upgrade, it wants to perform a Clean Install."

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4833 (laptop) with Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium already installed.  I ordered the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate for the advanced security features from the website active at the time.  After finally getting from Microsoft a version that included 64-bit product, I get the following:

At the point where the installation routine asks, "What type of installation do you want?", and my choices should be "Upgrade" or "Clean Install", the "Upgrade" choice is greyed-out, and not available.

At the bottom of the screen I get:

"Upgrade has been disabled."

"- The Upgrade cannot be started.  To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are already running."

Which makes no sense, because the Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade I purchased IS more recent than the version I am running.  Except for Service Packs.

I am going to guess that Service Packs are the culprit.  I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 installed on my laptop, applied by diligent use of Microsoft Update, of course.

The DVD I have for 64-bit Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade is SP1.

I have read articles on making a custom installation DVD using my 64-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 Anytime Upgrade DVD as a source, and then slipstreaming Vista SP2 to this custom install DVD, to end up with a custom Vista Ultimate SP2 upgrade.

What about making a installation share point on a server computer on my home network for Vista Ultimate SP1 and then slipstream SP2 to this install share.  Then perform the upgrade over the network to my laptop.

Would this be possible or not?

Cheers, Navy Flyer
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:30 PM