Exchange 2007 monitoring, real user emai latencies RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to measure internal and external email delivery flow in Exchange 2007.

We have the Exchange 2007 R2 MP and it works but the problem is that my customer is interested in measuring latency of user emails and not the ones used by the MP.

An example of a requirement:

"Time elapsed between sent by end user and mail received by other end user.

The service shall deliver 90% of emails within 5 minutes"

The "90% of emails" is not important at the moment (don't really see the point of only looking at 90% of the emails, or how this could be done anyway)

Any ideas are welcome, both on how to do it in the existing MP, or 3rd party tools, additional MPs, etc

Thanks in advance
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:43 AM

Answers

• Operations Manager nor Exchange offer an easy way to do this.  Which is the reason that Operations Manager uses the synthetic transactions as a kind of sampling method to discover if the SLA is being met.

In order to do something like this there are two possible paths:
    1) Parsing the Message Tracking Logs= The problem here is while the message tracking log can give you the time sent from server A and time arrived at server B, there isn't an easy way to merge these two results.  And I don't think the message tracking log at the target server logs any data about when the mail was sent.

2) Open every email in the inbox of your users and pull the time sent and time recieved properties off of the emails to calculate the delivery time.  

Thanks, Steven ___________________________________________________________ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:10 PM

All replies

• Operations Manager nor Exchange offer an easy way to do this.  Which is the reason that Operations Manager uses the synthetic transactions as a kind of sampling method to discover if the SLA is being met.

In order to do something like this there are two possible paths:
    1) Parsing the Message Tracking Logs= The problem here is while the message tracking log can give you the time sent from server A and time arrived at server B, there isn't an easy way to merge these two results.  And I don't think the message tracking log at the target server logs any data about when the mail was sent.

2) Open every email in the inbox of your users and pull the time sent and time recieved properties off of the emails to calculate the delivery time.  

Thanks, Steven ___________________________________________________________ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Thanks.

We ended up using the SCOM transactions and its reporting.

Now when we run the SLM reports for email flows, we get the info. If we drill down through the reports, we get to the detailed list of transactions that have been executed per hour (if we set transactions to run every 15 minutes, we see a row per hour with 4 counts). But we cannot go further to see how long each transaction has taken. The customer wants to know this, is there a way to customize the report to go one level deeper and see how long each count of the transaction has taken?

Thanks
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:27 PM
  • You would have to create a new report that queries for the raw data.  Given that raw data is not kept in the DB very long these reports wouldn't be able to span a very long time though.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Thanks Cory,

As far as I can see, raw performance data is kept 10 days in the DW DB, this should be enough.

Can you help me to find out what i need to do? It would be great if I could link a report from the list of transaction counts to show how long each transaction has taken to complete.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Alternatively there are Latency performance views in the OpsMgr console that show you the data.

There is a report authoring guide at http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/d/74deff5e-449f-4a6b-91dd-ffbc117869a2/OpsMgr2007_RprtGuide.doc

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Tak Åke,

Management gets a report, and they want to know how long each email generated by the Mailflow transactions takes , so the console views don't help for this.

I will look at the reporting guide, for some reason the version I had of the guide does not have the appendixes.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:09 AM