Windows 7 stalls - spoolsv.exe error? RRS feed

• Question

• I performed a clean install of Windows 7 in December, and for a couple of weeks it wasn't too bad, but the situation has become unbearable lately.

In the past 2 weeks or so, my laptop has had a problem.  I switch between a work domain network where Windows 7 start-up speeds are mediocre, to a home network where issues are totally unacceptable! 

On start-up in the home network situation, I usually start MS Outlook and Firefox relatively early, and lately about 60 seconds into start-up, everything stalls for about 2 minutes.  Trying to print is impossible as well.  Eventually, everything starts, but Windows 7 definitely has a problem.  Even when I try to start FileMaker Pro after everything else has been running, the machine stalls for a good 2-3 minutes before eventually continuing.  In checking Rescource Manager the stall is always  "spoolsv.exe (PID: 1756) Thread".

I have been using the Resource Monitor, "Analyze Wait Chain", and I believe there is a common issue between all these program delays.  In the "Not Responding" application in Resource Monitor, the chain always shows "spoolsv.exe (PID: 1756) Thread".  If I force this to stop, I cannot print later. 

Does anybody have any suggestions to fix this issue?  Is this caused by another one of the latest "Windows updates" since it has become impossible to deal within the past 2 weeks?  (Sleep actions were corrupted in the late January updates - was this another MS update corruption?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Dscape,

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there are any software conflicts.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:06 AM
  •             *  UPDATE  *

Arthur,

Sorry it has taken so long, but I finally had a chance to go through the Clean Boot procedures you suggested above.

It took quite a while to go through the steps and test different combinations of services and start-up items, but I believe my issue is resolved.  Provided I do not have a surprise show up in the next few days, it seems there were two issues affecting my start-ups.

GOOGLE UPDATER SERVICE - this service is installed by Google with their applications (Firefox, Picasa, etc), and this service runs continuously checking for updates.  I don't believe it is a problem with a firewall or the domain network at work, since I had the same problems with start-up on my home network.  A reboot seemed to be faster, but waking from sleep always had a 3-5 minute "stall" at either location.  I have disabled this service and so far it appears to be a major improvement.

ROXIO EASY MEDIA CREATOR SERVICES - I ended up disabling 5 services for this program plus the startup item "CommonSDK" (another Sonic item).  After seeing the improvements by disabling the Google Updater, then several of the Roxio items showed up as CPU hogs in the Resource Monitor.  The main problem was RoxMediaDB9 which was taking 40-50% CPU resources.  Disabling this service caused an error until I disabled the CommonSDK under the startup tab.  Since I seldom use the Roxio features, I decided to disable all services, but the program still appears to run fine.

For the record, uninstalling and reinstalling printers had no effect whatsoever for me.

Thank you for the suggestion.  The procedure was time consuming but not at all difficult.  I will keep my fingers crossed that the issue has been totally resolved.

DScape

4/3/2010 UPDATE

Well, the "spoolsrv.exe" is no longer the delay showing up in the "Analyze Wait Chain" message and my machine does not stall for 3-5 minutes on waking from sleep.  But...I continue to have delays of 30-90 seconds, and have not been able to see any consistent procedure causing the delay in the Analyze Wait Chain.  (Outlook has Outlook.exe, Firefox has Firefox.exe, etc).  Looks like I will have to continue disabling start-up items and services to find possible causes.

So the bottom line is that Vista took 2-3 minutes to boot up, but it was always moving.  Win 7 appears to take half that time to boot, and half that time hung in "Not Responding".

• Marked as answer by dscape Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:24 PM
    • Edited by dscape Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:06 PM updated information
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Dscape,

I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

Clear Printer Spooler Files and Enable the Spooler Service

=================================

1. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

3. Click Stop and click OK.

4. Click Start, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the Start Search box and press Enter, delete all files in this folder.

5. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

6. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

7. Click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected and click OK.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you refer to the following link and perform the troubleshooting steps manually to check the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Arthur,
    Thank you for the suggestions.  I performed the suggested steps, even though there did not appear to be anything in the spool file folder.  I have rebooted once and did not notice any delays in the Resource Monitor.  As I continue to test over the next day or so, if any issues show up I will continue with the knowledgebase link.  I will post back with my findings.

Thanks!
    DScape

UPDATE 2/17/10 - Well, the delay was still there, so I continued with the troubleshooting steps in the MS link above.  Their step 1 was to delete the spool printer and driver files as you suggested (already done), step 2 was remove third party Windows NT registry keys (there were none), and step 3 was remove third party registry keys for default print monitors.  Though the instructions pertained to XP, I left most of the print monitor keys and only removed Microsoft Shared Fax subkey and Epson Stylus Photo subkey.  I have tested printing and awakening from "sleep", and so far there are no Spoolsv.exe errors or delays.  I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you again for your suggestions!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Arthur,
    Awakening from sleep is faster on several tests, but I am still seeing the spoolsv.exe delay.  So far I have had it only once today, in Excel when I went to change a cell's text color from black to red - same old "Not responding".  I popped into Resource Monitor, Analyze Wait Chain, and saw the ominous "spoolsv.exe (PID: 1756) Thread".

So, I continue to test....

Any other ideas???
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Hi Dscape,

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there are any software conflicts.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Arthur,
    I will be testing later this week in Clean Boot, and I will post back my findings.

Thank you,
    DScape
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Similar problem, but not quite the same. 

My issue specifically was Windows 7 Pro, Word 2007 and excessive processor usage in both Word (15%) and spoolsv.exe (35%).  The problem manifested itself in the spinning blue icon (no idea what the MSoft term for that is).  This was coupled with slow performance in Word.

I wanted to thank Arthur_Li for the fix; purging the spooler cache fixed my issue.  I didn't know how to do that.  Found this via Google search for "spoolsv.exe windows 7"

Thanks for the repair and good luck w/ the other issue.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 1:41 PM
  • UPDATE

Curiously, this behavior returned.

I had struggled with a networked printer last week.  It is installed using the LOCAL printer option and an IP address on a Windows domain-based network at our office.

I uninstalled that printer, reinstalled and it and that seems to have done the trick.  No more memory leak behavior.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:49 PM
  •             *  UPDATE  *

Arthur,

Sorry it has taken so long, but I finally had a chance to go through the Clean Boot procedures you suggested above.

It took quite a while to go through the steps and test different combinations of services and start-up items, but I believe my issue is resolved.  Provided I do not have a surprise show up in the next few days, it seems there were two issues affecting my start-ups.

GOOGLE UPDATER SERVICE - this service is installed by Google with their applications (Firefox, Picasa, etc), and this service runs continuously checking for updates.  I don't believe it is a problem with a firewall or the domain network at work, since I had the same problems with start-up on my home network.  A reboot seemed to be faster, but waking from sleep always had a 3-5 minute "stall" at either location.  I have disabled this service and so far it appears to be a major improvement.

ROXIO EASY MEDIA CREATOR SERVICES - I ended up disabling 5 services for this program plus the startup item "CommonSDK" (another Sonic item).  After seeing the improvements by disabling the Google Updater, then several of the Roxio items showed up as CPU hogs in the Resource Monitor.  The main problem was RoxMediaDB9 which was taking 40-50% CPU resources.  Disabling this service caused an error until I disabled the CommonSDK under the startup tab.  Since I seldom use the Roxio features, I decided to disable all services, but the program still appears to run fine.

For the record, uninstalling and reinstalling printers had no effect whatsoever for me.

Thank you for the suggestion.  The procedure was time consuming but not at all difficult.  I will keep my fingers crossed that the issue has been totally resolved.

DScape

4/3/2010 UPDATE

Well, the "spoolsrv.exe" is no longer the delay showing up in the "Analyze Wait Chain" message and my machine does not stall for 3-5 minutes on waking from sleep.  But...I continue to have delays of 30-90 seconds, and have not been able to see any consistent procedure causing the delay in the Analyze Wait Chain.  (Outlook has Outlook.exe, Firefox has Firefox.exe, etc).  Looks like I will have to continue disabling start-up items and services to find possible causes.

So the bottom line is that Vista took 2-3 minutes to boot up, but it was always moving.  Win 7 appears to take half that time to boot, and half that time hung in "Not Responding".

• Marked as answer by dscape Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:24 PM
    • Edited by dscape Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:06 PM updated information
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:20 PM