"I Need To" web part error (Moss 2007) RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to use "I Need To" sharepoint web part.  The web part pulls from a custom list with three columns: 1) Title (what we see as the drop down options), 2) URL (text field for valid URLs), and 3) Choice field (helps me to say whether to display the links in the part or not).  The drop down is populated correctly; however, the selection results in "Invalid page URL:" error pop-up message.  It should be a simple web part to use.... so I am not sure what I am doing wrong

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:31 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem. Did u try to write URL (big letters). If u write with small letters doesn't work.

Bye
    • Proposed as answer by jacko_911 Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:16 PM

• Hopefully this will help.

http://www.justgeeking.net/blog/?p=7

Reference the bottom portion of this blog....it has the code you need to launch a new window. Unfortunatly that is not an option with the "I need to" web part.
    • Proposed as answer by LitoCueto Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 6:07 PM

All replies

• So...I hate to ask, are you using valid URLs?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:21 PM
  • I know, it's a valid question in those cases Smile  Yes, the URLs are fine.  The web part does not work on several separate sites (all use their own lists), so it's not just an isolated case.  Could it be something that we don't have installed on our system???

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Probably not, it usually works out of the box. Might you be having proxy issues?

Saturday, September 1, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Is there more than one "I need to" webpart on the page. There is a known bug that we are fixing.

Venky (Sharepoint - MSFT)

Monday, September 3, 2007 5:09 AM
  • At this point it is just one web part on a page.  I also searched for several tutorials on how to use it (just in case!!!) and here is what I tried following (which also failed)...

http://msmvps.com/blogs/shareblog/archive/2006/09/27/I-need-to_2E002E002E00_.aspx  Using the web part out of the box or custom way produces the same error.  I am at the end of my wits.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:30 PM
  • Ok, it turns out that the part ONLY works with the Sites list, not with the Tasks list or a custom list.

Venky (Sharepoint - MSFT)

• Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 9:02 PM
  • The "I need to" web part will work with a custom list, however the column type for the URL column must be "Hyperlink or Picture" not "Single line of text"

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:14 AM
  • I had the same problem. Did u try to write URL (big letters). If u write with small letters doesn't work.

Bye
    • Proposed as answer by jacko_911 Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Mr McD.

I am using the "I need to.." webpart to make a dropdown to Document libraries, library views, actual forms and documents, whatever I want... and love it.. .works great.. That is as long as "I" am logged in (admin rights)

I have 3 test users that my AD guy created for me and when I use any of these 3 accounts I get a "error on page" in my I.E. status bar and it goes no where.  All my test users have READ access to the Libraries, Sites, and even the Custom List which feeds the "I need to..." webpart. 

I am using this "I need to.." within a Publishing Site template and wonder if that is my issue???? (grasping at straws here) so I am about to use a Blank Site template and re-create the same to see if that is my issue.

someone later in this same blog stated something like "... this only works with site listings.. not custom lists.." but others in the blog, and other blogs as well say they are using it with custom lists and it works fine????

again, it works great when I use the dropdown... but any test user (with read rights) gets a "error on page"

any light that you could shed on this issue would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

regards

matthew netz

the error is:

Line:  1

Char:  1

Error:  Object Expected

Code:  0

URL:  http://phxspdev01:8011/CSC/Pages/default.aspx

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:58 PM
  • I would double check permissions, you may not be providing enough to let the users into the list.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:26 PM
  • I am getting the same exact javascript error when clicking the submit button.

I have tested this functionality on two seperate farm environments and it works in one but not the other. I have tested over and over and the lists are exactly the same along with user credentials. I have now started looking on a site collection, application and farm level. I have been unable to notice any differences in the environments.

I will keep everyone posted and if you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

Regards,

Kipp

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:19 AM
  •  Kipp Sorensen wrote:

I am having the exact same issues as you.  One enviroment the web part works and the other it does not.  What is strange is that it worked the day I built it but now it does not work.

I can't figure out for the life of me any difference.  Let me know if you found a solution.

Travis

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:46 PM don't use full quote
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Have you tried replicating this features of the web part with a Data Form Web Part (or just build a custom replacement)? The data form web part can be used to in place of the I Need To web part with the benefit that:

• You can style it any way you want
    • Connect it to any list you want
    • Choose to open the links in a new window based on a list field value

Just a thought as this will take far less time than that required to troubleshoot your farm.

Matthew

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:26 PM
  • We are having the same problem! It seems to be some sort of permission error but I have changed permissions at all levels but with no joy.

When the user clicks on the link to move to the page in the 'I need to' drop down followed by clicking the go button we get the Javascript error below.

javascript:TATWP_jumpMenu()

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:15 PM
  • I have same issue , I think problem is in custom master page because I applied default.master and its working fine.

I will let you know if I got any solution and waiting for a good response from you as well..

Friday, January 25, 2008 3:12 PM
  • I've made some progress and had some success with the problem, even though it might not be the "right" way to fix this.

Further research revealed that the button to launch the "I Need To..." web part link called a JavaScript function named TATWP_jumpMenu().  This JavaScript function is found in the portal.js file at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS.  

When viewing the source for the problem page, I found that portal.js was never included.  Therefore, the function could never be successfully called.

The makeshift solution I used was to copy the functions from portal.js into one of the files that was already being included (core.js).  A page refresh later and all of my "I Need To..." web parts started working correctly.

I am still not sure why the portal.js script is not included in the first place as it appears to be necessary if you want to use the "I Need To..." web part anywhere on the site.  A newly created installation on a sandbox revealed that portal.js was included correctly.

If anyone has some input on why portal.js is not included in the webpage code or has a better solution, please let me know!
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Thanks Brian,

I was just thinking that adding function in core.js file can raise issues during deployment so if you will add just following line in your master page it will work fine and wont be any problem when you will deploy your project .

<SharePointTongue TiedcriptLink language="javascript" name="../portal.js" Defer="true" runat="server"/>

Monday, February 4, 2008 12:05 PM
  • This worked for me, i converted the column name from url to URL and it instantly worked.  Kind of crazy, but this did the trick.  Thanks for the post.

Jason.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Can you give any indication when the 'Known bug' will be fixed?   Is there a Hot Fix???

Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

There is a work-around which I have listed on my demo page (which includes the note about uppercase field name, sorry I didn't see this post earlier).

http://www.wssdemo.com/Pages/ineedto.aspx

Regards,

Ian

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:53 AM
  • Matthew,

Can you provide a little more info on how to configure the Data Form Web Part to act in place of the I Need To web part?  I am able to add the Data View to my SharePoint page, changed the layout to show as a drop down, and linked it to the list I had originally created for use with the I Need To web part.  The problem is nothing happens when I select an option from the list.  I've tried to add the Jump Menu behavior but this is where I'm getting stuck.  How do I get the jump menu / redirection to work?

Thanks,

Chanda

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:30 PM
  • I've run into this problem myself and finally figured out what I did to break it (but not how to fix it).  Apparently I had the I Need To web part working against a custom list up until the point that I did some customizing of the default.master page in SharePoint Designer.  Now, the part no longer works (I've confirmed this by creating a new site, adding the custom list and I Need To web part and testing to verify it works, and then applying my customized default.master page and verifying it no longer works).

I actually didn't remove any components from my customized default.master - I just adjusted the location of some and took any I didn't want and moved them to a hidden aspStick out tongueanel at the bottom of the page.  If I knew what I'd one exactly that broke the part (or what dependency the I Need To web part has on certain placeholders) I'd at least know how to go about trying to fix it...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Check out this post: http://edinkapic.blogspot.com/2008/03/need-to-web-part-and-javascript-error.html

I just ran across this and tried it out, fixed my problem (I was getting the same error).

Chanda

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Chanda,

You will need to attach script to the onchange event that does a window.location redirect to the desired URL.

The easiest way to set this up is to write the whole thing to work with a statis dropdown box and wire up the JavaScript. Then make it all dynamic with the DFWP.

M

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:07 PM
  • I am getting this error:

Error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: webNode" occured processing your request. Review the error message and correct the problem

I've read through what others have written and wonder if it's because we have the publishing features turned on.  Someone else wondered if this was their problem--however, this individual said he was using the Publishing Template.  We are using the Team Sites Template.  I've also noticed that portal.js does not show up in the source....

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Hi there..

I need help in the i need to webpart.. I have created one in my site with various links in the dropdown but wish to open some of my links in a new window and some in the content area of the same site where the i need to webpart resides ..

Please help

Cheers.

Sriniko

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:47 AM

• Hopefully this will help.

http://www.justgeeking.net/blog/?p=7

Reference the bottom portion of this blog....it has the code you need to launch a new window. Unfortunatly that is not an option with the "I need to" web part.
    • Proposed as answer by LitoCueto Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Hey ,

That was helpful.. indeed..

Thanks a lot ..

Sriniko

Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Squizzy said: 

GasperB said:

I didn't actually realize that the column needed to be called "URL" it now works great, thanks guys!
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:47 PM don't use full quote
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:03 PM
  • hopefully this will help! For opening a new window....

Edit the portal.js in the 12 hive - layouts folder or put the script below inside the master page:

function TATWP_jumpMenu(dropDownId)
    {
     var el=document.getElementById((dropDownId != undefined) ? dropDownId : "TasksAndToolsDDID");
     if(el != null)
     {
     var href=window.open(el.options[el.selectedIndex].value); Submit
     if(href != "0")
     {
     STSNavigate(href);
     }
     }
    }

• Proposed as answer by LitoCueto Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:31 PM
    • Edited by LitoCueto Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:47 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  This worked!!! Changing the title from "url" to  "URL" fixed the problem for me (how ridiculous is that). Thanks GasperB! 
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Thanks LitoCueto!  Your code helped me come up with this: 

onchange="javascript:document.getElementById('{$TasksAndToolsGo}').click();"

Which, when inserted into the INeedTo... web part's code (in the select tags), will navigate to the selected link without requiring the user to click the Go button.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:41 PM