Office 365 Personal - How to share/sync email, contacts across devices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had Office 2016, not 365. I wanted to be able to share/sync my Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and email across all my device - PC, Tablet and Phone, so I purchased Office 365 Personal.

That is about as far as I got. I am not sure what steps I need to do share/sync Outlook stuff.

Since I have Office 2016 I have a few PST files, one for each email account and a main one which has my contacts and calendar.

What do I need to do to get that stuff into the 365 version so I can share/sync it? Do I need import my existing PST files into the online 365 version? 

Ideally what I would like to do is migrate my existing stuff piece meal, e.g. one email account at a time, choosing what to import and what to leave in old PST file  

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Addition: In doing yet more googling I keep seeing references to 'Exchange Server', I n a previous post I asked if I needed an exchange server for snyc and was told no Office 365 Personal would be enough. Was I misinformed? Since I had have Ofice 2016 the only reason I bought 365 was for Outlook syncing. Have I wasted my money?

Thanks 

Steve

• Edited by spdtechnet Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:56 AM Additional info
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

>>  In a previous post I asked if I needed an exchange server for snyc and was told no Office 365 Personal would be enough. 

Actually, whether we can sync Outlook across all devices depends on the type of your email account. Generally, IMAP and Exchange account will give you the ability to check emails across all of your devices. However, IMAP does not keep contacts or calendars synchronized.

Cloud-based systems such as Exchange Online in Office 365 offers email sync, as well as the Calendar, Contacts, Tasks. It will look exactly the same across your devices. For instructions about setting up Office 365 on your mobile devices, hopefully the link below can be helpful:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/set-up-and-use-office-365-on-your-phone-or-tablet-HA102818686.aspx

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 9:40 AM
  • Hello Yuki,

Thanks for the response. All my email is IMAP however at this point I am more interested in sharing Contacts, I will share the email as the last step. 

So just focusing on contacts for now. I have my Outlook 2016 Desktop which currently has all the Contacts in a PST file. I also have the Office 365 - People,  which doesn't have any contacts in.

I know how to export from OL 2016 and import into the Office 365 People. 

What I don't know how to do is tell my Office 2016 Outlook to sync its contacts with the contacts in People. I assume I have to use Office People as my 'source' for my Outlook 2016 except I can't find anywhere that tell me how to do that.

Can you help with this? Can this be accomplished without paying for exchange?

Thank you

Steve

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Hi Steve,

>> All my email is IMAP

Since the accounts are configured as IMAP accounts, contacts are stored on This Computer Only folder. So I am afraid the contacts cannot be synced.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:16 AM