Is Windows 7 Portable memory compatible with Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• I had Windows 7 in my previous computer and now I am trying to use it in my Lenovo tower with Windows 10.  A message appears:  D:\ is not accesible.  The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Can you help me please?

Sunday, June 30, 2019 2:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean you want to replace your hard disk on your Existing Lenovo PC which running Windows 10 with your old one which run Windows 7?

As Windows 10 will associate your hardware information with your activation information on Server side, so if you replaced your hard disk, your Windows 10 activation will fail and need to re-activate again. 

If you want to add hard disk to your Levono PC with the older disk, we could refer to the link below:

https://helpdesk.originpc.com/support/solutions/articles/9000124011-how-to-add-a-hard-drive-to-windows-10-

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

If I misunderstand your issue, please reply to us directly.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 1, 2019 2:25 AM
  • Hello,

I didn't explain correctly.  I needed to find out how to access to my portable memory, since I have most of my medical information there and it kept me saying that the file was unreadable.  

Yesterday I took it to Best Buy and they told me that the portable memory was damaged and I will have to pay $$$ to recover the files... Unfortunately that is something I can not do, so I will have to compile my information by myself.  

Thank you for your response.

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:24 PM