Question Regarding Windows updates and Hotfixes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know how are the regular Windows updates and the Hotfixes distributed.
    My question is how and where can I find for example an up to date hotfix list with latest binaries for server 2008 R2, and 2012 R2? 
    I know that regular updates also contains hotfixes. But if I update my servers regularly through Windows update will those updates contain all the hotfixes which are published by Microsoft for that special product? I think, no.

If not, can you help me how can I find a way to update my servers also with the latest binaries (especially hotfixes)?

Many thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
    Attila

attikusz

Monday, June 13, 2016 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi attikusz,

Hotfixes are mainly for specific issues, new released hotfixes might not be included in windows update, we need to install them manually and separately for different machines when the issue occurs.

While if some hotfixes are tested to be secure and stable for the specific issue during testing, then these hotfixes will be included into security rollups, security rollup updates are available in windows update.

In a word , hotfixes can not be deployed with windows update, since they are for specific issues, we need them only when the specific issue occurs, while stable hotfixes can be include into security rollups which can be available in windows update.

So, keep your computer up to date with the latest updates, when specific issue occurs, we need to install hotfix manually.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:37 AM
  • Hotfixes are more like emergency deployments but only for affected machines. Not necessarily for all. I would not install a hotfix unless you experience the issue described in the article exactly. If it eventually turns out for all it will come in the form of an update, rollup or service pack.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by attikusz Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:12 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Hi attikusz,

Agree with Dave. Hotfixes are for specific issues, so, it's hard to say which hotfix is missed. If you have made your computer up to date, I would suggest you investigate the specific issue.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:29 AM

All replies

• Hotfixes are usually only recommended for users with that specific issue since they are created for specific issues and not necessarily fully regression tested. At some point the fixes are roled into updates and or service packs. You can search the update catalog for something you're looking for.

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 13, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Hi attikusz,

Hotfixes are mainly for specific issues, new released hotfixes might not be included in windows update, we need to install them manually and separately for different machines when the issue occurs.

While if some hotfixes are tested to be secure and stable for the specific issue during testing, then these hotfixes will be included into security rollups, security rollup updates are available in windows update.

In a word , hotfixes can not be deployed with windows update, since they are for specific issues, we need them only when the specific issue occurs, while stable hotfixes can be include into security rollups which can be available in windows update.

So, keep your computer up to date with the latest updates, when specific issue occurs, we need to install hotfix manually.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:37 AM
  • Hello Anne,

Thank you for your answer, you are right.
    But let me share with you a specific scenario. I installed all the regular updates to my server, but I still have a network related issue. I'm using a physical server, all drivers are up to date. The next step would be to search for the network related OS binaries. For example: tcpip.sys
    I see that my tcpip.sys driver is 2-3 years old.
    Question: Is there a way to find out if there is a newer version, or I have to contact the Microsoft support for this information?   

attikusz

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:58 AM
  • I'd probably start a new thread based on the issue. Searching for a single file may be difficult.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Hi Dave,

This is not an issue right now. I just suggested a possible issue, to find out the procedure how can I find the missing hotfixes from my servers.

Regards,
    attikusz

attikusz

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hotfixes are more like emergency deployments but only for affected machines. Not necessarily for all. I would not install a hotfix unless you experience the issue described in the article exactly. If it eventually turns out for all it will come in the form of an update, rollup or service pack.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Hi attikusz,

Agree with Dave. Hotfixes are for specific issues, so, it's hard to say which hotfix is missed. If you have made your computer up to date, I would suggest you investigate the specific issue.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:29 AM
  • Understand. Thank you.

attikusz

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:13 AM