SCCM 2012 R2 CU1 client update installation fails on non-domain systems RRS feed

• Question

• When I deploy the CU1 client update as an advertisement to my non-upgraded clients, it is failing on only non-domain systems.  I'm getting this error in the execmgr.log:

Program: Cumulative update 1 - x64 client update install failed with exit code 1642

When i try and install the update manually by running it using this command and running it on the file that was downloaded to the local ccmcache folder:

wusa.exe .\configmgr2012ac-r2-kb2938441-x64.msp

I get the following error message:

Windows Update Standalone Installer 
    Installer encountered an error: Ox8007065e
    Data of this type is not supported.

I'm kind of stumped.  The advertisement worked great on domain systems, it's just my small number of non-domain systems that i can get upgraded.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:21 PM

Answers

• 1642 = The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer an d that you have the correct upgrade patch.

So are you really sure that the workgroup clients are already on R2?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Friday, June 20, 2014 1:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by jfergus Friday, June 20, 2014 1:25 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:44 PM

All replies

• 1642 = The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer an d that you have the correct upgrade patch.

So are you really sure that the workgroup clients are already on R2?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Friday, June 20, 2014 1:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by jfergus Friday, June 20, 2014 1:25 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Not that this necessarily solves the overall problem, but isn't WUSA.exe only for .MSU files? Try using MSIEXEC for .MSP instead.
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:39 PM
  • This was it.  It never occurred to me that I still had some clients on SP1.  The clients that were having issues were on the SP1 version.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Friday, June 20, 2014 1:21 PM