none
Master project/sub-project- multiple links for various sub tasks? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running an overall master project with multiple sub projects (currently 8 but will continue to expand up to 10-15 at time).

I have a master schedule that is divided into phases that each project must go through and each phase lists every projects schedule. For example each project must go through leasing and design so under the leasing phase I show projects 1-8 as indented tasks and their dates they are anticipated to be within that phase and and under design I again show projects 1-8 as indented tasks and the dates that they are anticipated to be within that phase.

In the subproject i would also have these same phases but expand upon the detail that each phase will go through. So project 1 will have a leasing phase and then indented tasks for: property search, contracting, close for example. Ideally this leasing phase for project 1 would roll up and provide the actual dates in the master project.

This would allow me to at a glance see each projects status in a certain phase and if my client wants to know why leasing is taking 40 days I can open that subproject and show them what that over all task of leasing entails.

Is something like this possible? It would likely be lots and lots of linking.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:40 AM

All replies

• If you have a project which is composed of tasks which take time (duration) and require resources which cost money, then you have a project which is amenable to modelling in MSP.

Usually, tasks are things which have to be done, and they are things which start with verbs.

It is very hard to give a better answer for your particular case with so little information, but if you can describe a bit more then happy to help.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:39 AM
  • AEGault,

The short answer is "yes", Project can do that. You can have multiple levels of indenture through a master/subproject structure.

However, here's the sticky part. Linked structures in Project are prone to corruption. You can never rename, move, overwrite, of "save off" to another location any of the files in the structure. Ideally all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. A linked structure will not work in a SharePoint environment.

The part of your scenario that concerns me is that you will be continually adding subprojects to the master and it also infers that you might be deleting subprojects as they complete a given phase. It will require a very high level of file discipline to effect that dynamic without creating corruption.

So again, the answer is "yeah, but".

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:04 PM
  • Thank you- that was what I was thinking may be the potential issue and this is a 3-5-7yr program made up of 30-40 sub projects so 'rolling' up the information may be more trouble than just updating the master program with dates on a regular basis.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:39 AM
  • Thanks- right, it's hard to write it down but it's a 3-5-7yr program made up of 6-8 projects each year. I think it may be easier to just update a master program schedule and keep the projects independent. 
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:40 AM
  • AEGault,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:29 AM