SPS 2003 to MOSS 2007 - Taxonomy RRS feed

• Question

• I have been assigned the task of upgrading our SPS 2003 to SPS 2007 MOSS and have run into a concern. The previous administrator for the portal only created a single content database for all sites. With the new version of SPS I'm looking at separating the sites into multiple content databases. I understand that SPS 2007 will allow you to "export" sites from one content database into another. I don't believe that is available in SPS 2003. This implies I will have to upgrade the large SPS 2003 content database to SPS 2007 before I can separate the sites into multiple content databases. This is a big concern because the SPS 2003 content database is around 900gb and I would have to take the entire portal down while it was upgraded. Is there an approach that would allow for the content database to be separated before the upgrade? Or am I just missing the boat.

I'm new to SPS and still learning. :-) 

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 9:09 PM

Answers

• It's been a while since I've used sps2003 but you should be able to use smigrate to move sites into new content databases if you wish to break the sites up before the upgrade.  Another option is to just leave them where they are and do database migration upgrade to the new version and then move the databases afterwards - my recommendation would be to stand up a test environment and try both approaches to see which gets you what you want with the least issues (both will have some kind of issues).
    • Marked as answer by Scooter422 Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:27 PM
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Scooter422,

MOSS 2007 from a very high-level perspective can be broken down as such:

Web Application --> Site-Collection --> Sites -->Subsites

Each Web Application (which may consist of multiple Site Collections, Sites and Subsites), can be associated with one or more content database. Do note however, that each content database can be associated with only one Web Application.

So you can, put all your sites (content) under one Web Application (with multiple Site Collections) for multiple content database.

Or you can have multiple Web Applications (with Site Collections) each associated with one content database per-each web application.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Regards,
    Harish
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 1:47 PM
  • It's been a while since I've used sps2003 but you should be able to use smigrate to move sites into new content databases if you wish to break the sites up before the upgrade.  Another option is to just leave them where they are and do database migration upgrade to the new version and then move the databases afterwards - my recommendation would be to stand up a test environment and try both approaches to see which gets you what you want with the least issues (both will have some kind of issues).
    • Marked as answer by Scooter422 Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:27 PM
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:10 PM