none
Microsoft Project Pro 2010 will not close! (Hangs in Task Manager) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Microsoft and Fellow Techies, 

Got a real frustrating one here and I've Googled just about everything and can't really find a good answer. So I thought I'd start my own question. Thanks in advance for reviewing this for me.

Our organization uses Microsoft Project 2010 Pro with Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit. We have noticed an issue right after re-installing MS Project 2010 Pro software clean (with all windows updates and Project 2010 Pro the full version with all patches and service packs installed). The application can be opened only once, then once its closed (no matter how you close it) the process "WINPROJ.EXE" remains running the in background and you can not open project at all. This causes a problem when attempting open another project document or a new project file. When you click on MS project exe (on the desktop or program files) it just will not launch it "hangs". The only way to open the program is to kill the task and then re-launch project via direct exe or mpp file. This causes a major problem because our organization uses Project in combination with a Share Point server. Users have major issues opening and editing then shooting files back to the server. I have tried everything... Re-installing Project, re-installing with a freshly imaged Windows 7 system, and I have also tired this on a 64bit and I get the same thing. Again all updates and service packs have been installed too. This is driving me crazy... does anyone know whats happen or know of a fix for this issue?

Thanks again in advance for any help! Email me direct if you want!

john.fisher@deltacommunitycu.com

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:26 PM

All replies

• John,

The first thing that comes to mind is that Project is either caught in a calculation loop or a loop within a event fired macro. Does the problem occur with a new project file (i.e. not an existing file)? If your Project file(s) have external links or macros attached, please elaborate.

Does Project hang when not interfacing with SharePoint? If it does not, then I would suspect something is awry with the SharePoint setup and this may not be the best place to get that issue resolved. If no one else chimes in with a suggestion, you might want to try the Project Server forum at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/home?forum=projectserver2010general,

or, find a SharePoint forum.

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:51 AM more data
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:49 AM
  • Hello John, thanks for the reply.

The problem occurs with new and existing project files. Just opening and closing the application right after installation will show the service still running in the background (WINPROJ.EXE) and will not fully close without ending the task in task manager. 

Not even trying to connect with Share Point at all the problem occurs. (local files will display the problem). This in turn would cause a problem with Share Point users downloading and posting files to the server. I'm not even worried about Share Point at this time. I just want the application to fully close correctly within Windows. 

-Thanks again for the help! 

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:18 PM
  • John,

You didn't mention whether you have any external links or macros attached to the file. There could be an event based macro in your Global that fires automatically on file open. I just want to eliminate that possibility from the equation.

If the problem occurs with a new file and Project operating as a stand alone application, it might be a problem with your user profile. Try creating a new user profile and see if that helps. For some reason Project 2010 seems to have more sensitivity to user profile issues than previous version of Project.

John

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hey John,

No Sir, no macros are enabled. Also, I just attempted to deleted my user profile via computer management re-logged to rebuild the profile and attempted to launch MS Project close and reopen again... The process still remains (WINPROJ.EXE is hanging in the background). I have to close it with taskmgr to get project to reopen. Its like windows thinks that project is still open when I attempt to launch the exe again (there's just no response at all).

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:24 PM
  • John,

I assume you are aware that event based macros will fire automatically and they will NOT show up as macros when you simply go to Developer/code/view macros.

With regard to the user profile, I'm not sure that simply re-logging to rebuild the profile is adequate. Take a look at the following reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

If you are absolutely sure there are no event based macros and a new user profile does not fix the problem, then I'm out of ideas. If no one else jumps in, I suggest you post to the Project Server forum I noted in my initial response.

John

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Activation was the problem! Seems like our built in volume license key did not pick up during the install and activation process. Project looked like it was activated when in fact it was not (never received the red activation banner across the top). I re-installed MS Project 2010 Pro SP1 with our MSDN license key and installation files using my local admin account. I then received  the "red banner" at the top saying to activate the product. Once I activated online it corrected the issue.

I am able to close and re-open the software without error! =)

I hope this can help others out in the future! 

If you happen to have this issue. Be sure the MS Project 2010 Pro install files are correct, current, and be sure you have a license key that is valid.

**Note you need to be logged in as a local admin for the red activation banner to show and to get the product registered**. If you do not receive this indication I would keep trying to re-install the software with a new ISO or MSDN download and again check the license key.   

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:46 PM
  • John,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Give yourself credit for answering your own question.

John

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:06 PM