none
FIM Password reset functionality RRS feed

• Question

• Experts,

During FIM design 'password reset' through SMS gateway.
    If this feature is implemented I guess I will be able to meet following requirement.

1. When in company, user can click on 'forgot password' at the windows login screen and request for OTP in SMS.
    2. When not in company, user can click click on 'forgot password' in FIM Portal and can request for OTP in SMS.

Kindly suggest if my understanding is correct.

Thanks,
    Mann

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hello

You are right but let me add some Information to your assumption:

It is possible but not in any case required to have the SMS OTP configured. It is also possible to only have some social questions to be answered to be able to reset the Password.

The Password Reset Portal is not part of the FIM Portal anymore. It can be installed on a different machine if it should be reachable from the Internet. But from my knowledge it requires an additional FIM Server license then.

Cheers, Henry.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Really, does SSPR if deployed on its own server in the DMZ for example, need another server license?

For some reason I thought that the SSPR function is covered by FIM CALs?

• Edited by D Wind Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:57 AM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi Divine,

Harry is correct -  for each server where you have a FIM component installed you need a FIM Server license. So for instance if you had the following setup (as an example) you you would need 3 FIM Server Licenses in addition to the FIM CALs:

Server A - FIM Sync Server

Server B - FIM Service & Portal

Server C (in DMZ) - FIM Password Portal

This licensing document has the full details, but I'd recommend talking to Microsoft as licensing is complex and there are a lot of possible scenarios.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Edited by Andrew Silcock Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:12 AM changed URL to a proper link
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:10 AM