USB detection issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a acer notebook with pre-install vista home premium. I recently tried to add an external hard drive with the USB to SATA/IDE device. At first my usb port(name it as usb1) detected the device as unknown device, I used another usb port(usb2) of my notebook, It detected correctly.

Now  the issue is, the usb1 always detects it as unknown device, but i can use the usb2 for the hdd. this case is only for this device, other usb devices works good.

does the usb port have any recorded history, that it always detect this device as unknown while the other can work properly?

I tried the device manager like deleting the device and let the usb detect again, but of no use, it still keeps the old detected device(unknown).

This issue i have encountered in many pcs. 1 usb can find the device, but the other cannot. why?
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The USB controller of the port may be corrupt. I suggest that you reload the USB controllers. Please launch Device Manager, under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" there should be a list of several USB-type drives. Uninstall everyone of them and then shutdown and reboot your system. The computer will reload the drivers.

If the issue persists, plug your mouse into the problematic port. Please let us know if the mouse works properly.

If the issue does not occur with the mouse, I suggest that you follow the steps below to clear corrupted third party driver installation *.inf files.

Step1. Show hidden folders

=========================

1. Click the Start button, Click "Computer" -> "Organize" -> "Folder and Search Options".

2. Click the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files and folders", click "Show hidden files and folders".

3. To display other hidden files, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

Step2. Rename the USB inf relate files

1. Click the Start Button, type "%windir%\inf" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and press Enter.

2. Please locate "Infcache.1" file, right click on it, click Properties, select Security tab, click the current User Account name, click Edit, check Full Control checkbox as Allow, then all the checkbox will be checked  as Allow, click OK, click OK.

3. Right click the Infcache.1, select Rename, please type infcache.1-bak in the text box, press Enter. Then Infcache.1 would be renamed to infcache.1-bak.

4. Please locate all the files beginning with "oem", for example: oem0 and oem.PNF. Please follow the steps above to rename all the files.

5. Please restart the computer.

Then you may hide system files and hidden files again.

If the above information does not help, collect the device installation log. Open the folder C:\Windows\inf, and find the file setupapi.dev(.log). Please then open the following website and upload the log.

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f78e8c43-dcd2-4e73-bede-b79eec77dc83

Password is ZgDt2-aQZL3QQ

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The USB controller of the port may be corrupt. I suggest that you reload the USB controllers. Please launch Device Manager, under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" there should be a list of several USB-type drives. Uninstall everyone of them and then shutdown and reboot your system. The computer will reload the drivers.

If the issue persists, plug your mouse into the problematic port. Please let us know if the mouse works properly.

If the issue does not occur with the mouse, I suggest that you follow the steps below to clear corrupted third party driver installation *.inf files.

Step1. Show hidden folders

1. Click the Start button, Click "Computer" -> "Organize" -> "Folder and Search Options".

2. Click the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files and folders", click "Show hidden files and folders".

3. To display other hidden files, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

Step2. Rename the USB inf relate files

1. Click the Start Button, type "%windir%\inf" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and press Enter.

2. Please locate "Infcache.1" file, right click on it, click Properties, select Security tab, click the current User Account name, click Edit, check Full Control checkbox as Allow, then all the checkbox will be checked  as Allow, click OK, click OK.

3. Right click the Infcache.1, select Rename, please type infcache.1-bak in the text box, press Enter. Then Infcache.1 would be renamed to infcache.1-bak.

4. Please locate all the files beginning with "oem", for example: oem0 and oem.PNF. Please follow the steps above to rename all the files.

5. Please restart the computer.

Then you may hide system files and hidden files again.

If the above information does not help, collect the device installation log. Open the folder C:\Windows\inf, and find the file setupapi.dev(.log). Please then open the following website and upload the log.

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f78e8c43-dcd2-4e73-bede-b79eec77dc83

Password is ZgDt2-aQZL3QQ

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:25 AM
  • I have a HP dv5-1010us with Vista home premium 64-bit. Last night my laptop began to freeze while I transferred files between 2 external USB hard drives. I tried to reboot and unplug both usb drives (couldn't go to the safe removal) and then the next thing I know after rebooting is:

1. Every time I plug in the Maxtor onetouch II 300gb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. But it's only recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", recognized as Maxtor under "disk drives", BUT cannot be seen in My Computer. In the disk management, it's shown as "uninitiliazed" and "unallocated". There's no way I can assign the letter path even though I can manually initialize it every time I open disk management. No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

Every time I plug in the Western Digital my Book Office edition WD10000H1B 1tb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. HOWEVER, it's NOT recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", is recognized as WD under "disk drives" BUT automatically says DISABLED and I cannot enable, and of course cannot be seen in My Computer. It's NOT even shown in the disk management. No matter how No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

My mouse, USB printer, USB flash stick, and another smaller USB external drive all work just fine.

In here (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4113855&SiteID=17) you can see what I've done and failed to fix the problem.

I'm trying the method you mentioned above, but
    "locate all the files beginning with "oem", for example: oem0 and oem.PNF. Please follow the steps above to rename all the files."?? I found 118 oem*.* files in all over different folders. SHould I rename ALL of them?

Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Hi,

Also the link you provided for uploading the file has this error: No workspace was found corresponding to the supplied password. The password or URL may be incorrect.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:01 PM
  • Liverworts

Why don’t you put the oem*.* files in a new folder?  It’s simpler than trying to rename 118 of them.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:16 PM
  • hi,

Not sure I understood what you said. Do you mean for all those 188 oem*.* files I found, I should just move them all to a new folder named like oem*.*?

would moving and/or renaming all 118 files affect the system more than just the usb drive? because they are all over all kinds of different folders?

thanks!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:27 PM
  •  

Only move the oem*.* files in \Windows\inf

Renaming is effectively the same as deleting or moving.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I also have this problem. I have an "Unknown Device" installed in my Device Manager that installs by itself. I moved the INFCACHE.1 file and the oem files from the /inf folder to my desktop and when I uninstall the "Unknown Device" then restart the comp, it still reinstalls an "Unknown Device".
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:01 AM