Library View - Group by Person or Group Column Value RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I have a single library.

One of the columns is type: Person or Group.
    Allow multiple selections: Yes.

I want a view within the library, which groups by the values of the Person Group column.

I've seen possible SP2010 solutions, yet I'm lost.

Can somebody please explain very simply how could thid be accomplished in SP2013?

Thanks

W

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you can achieve your requirement by including the column as a Joined Subview using Design view, and then change the Select XPath query in the code view in SharePoint Designer 2010.

However, in SharePoint Designer 2013, it only has code view. And you need to achieve it by coding e.g. create a custom grid web part.

As an easier workaround, I recommend you to create a text column in the library and create a designer workflow to copy person column values to text column automatically.

How to set the workflow:

The results in library view:

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:10 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Default action is not supported to separate out data. You need to create a custom activity to split string then store these values to several text columns.

There is a custom solution which can split string in SPD 2010 (not support for SPD 2013) for your reference:

https://spdwfstringactions.codeplex.com/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 26, 2016 11:48 AM

All replies

• You can't do it through the UI and i don't know of any way to make it work otherwise. This may be one of those cases where it's impractical to achieve your goals.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can achieve your requirement by including the column as a Joined Subview using Design view, and then change the Select XPath query in the code view in SharePoint Designer 2010.

However, in SharePoint Designer 2013, it only has code view. And you need to achieve it by coding e.g. create a custom grid web part.

As an easier workaround, I recommend you to create a text column in the library and create a designer workflow to copy person column values to text column automatically.

How to set the workflow:

The results in library view:

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Thanks, that works a treat.

I've used the workflow option.

Is there a way to separate out multiple speakers? So that you don't have 2 speakers next to a document, but the document is listed underneath each speaker individually.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Default action is not supported to separate out data. You need to create a custom activity to split string then store these values to several text columns.

There is a custom solution which can split string in SPD 2010 (not support for SPD 2013) for your reference:

https://spdwfstringactions.codeplex.com/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Monday, September 26, 2016 11:48 AM

• Hi,

Is there any update?

If my reply is helpful to you, you can mark as answer.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:26 AM