none
Windows Server 2016 Essentials new installation - multiple issues/errors

Question

• Dashboard - Services - Integrate with Microsoft Office365 - Already have subscription - Entered username and password for managing Office365 - Configuring your server for integration - Configuring - There was an issue configuring the integration (An unknown error occurred. Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet, and then try again. If you continue to experience this problem, restart the computer and then try again.) 

Note DNS checked via Office365 admin dashboard and all perfect before accessing Essentials dashboard. Doesn't matter how many times I restart the server.  Same message.  Clicking the "Search for a solution to this problem" link did not help.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:02 AM

Answers

• Thanks to Mariette Knap my issue has been resolved; skip the temptation to click on the link in Step 10.

I would have preferred to thank Microsoft but I cannot.  In my opinion the installation of Windows Server 2016 Essentials needs far better explanation of choices when following the steps to installation of the product.

Seems there is a great opening for a "Windows Server 2016 Essentials Installation for Dummies" publication. 

• Marked as answer by ahssdude Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:42 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that it failed to integrate O365 on Windows Server 2016 Essentials with error “An unknown error occurred. Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet, and then try again.”

Try to use Microsoft Online Services Module for Windows PowerShell to test the connection issue:
    1. Install Microsoft Online Services Sign-In assistant and the Windows Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) module on server
    2. Connect to your Office 365 subscription using PowerShell: 

Connect to Office 365 PowerShell:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn975125.aspx

If the connection failed, reference – “You can't connect to Office 365, Azure, or Intune by using the Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell”:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2494043

Otherwise, please provide SharedServiceHost-EmailProviderServiceConfig.log, under “%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\”.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 21, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Cannot install Azure AD module on server via dashboard.  Same error as tring to integrate office365.
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Am going to reinstall.  This makes no sense for a product released to manufacturing.
    Sunday, October 23, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Installation completed.  Same ridiculous result.  Azure integration fails.  (Azure AD connection from a reset Windows 10 computer works flawlessly.)
    Sunday, October 23, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Note that the installation is official RTM of Windows Server 2016 Essentials.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

Have you check the suggestion in my first reply? 

What is the error message for Azure integration? 

Please provide related log files.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:13 AM
  • MSOL-connect works but that of course is local.  Nothing else does so no log.  No-one seems to have a clue as to why this is not working out of the box.  No clients can connect as that fails too.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:27 PM
  • I think 2016 suffers from the same bug that was fixed in Oct updates for 2012 R2. What do you mean with 'No clients can connect as that fails too.'?

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Twitter | Facebook | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Using correct procedure to connect a desktop.  At the stage where it asks for user name and password to join/connect I use an admin username and password, windows comes up and I click "No" button as I want to join/connect as admin.  A few minutes later I get an error message that it cannot connect.  If I check the system icon in the control panel it has actually joined the domain.  Server shows no sign of a connected device.

Meanwhile despite installing the WS2016 Ess software the dashboard is kind of useless.  Cannot integrate with Azure.  Cannot integrate with Office365 with existing sign on.  Can setup remote access successfully.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Anyone else having issues with this product?  
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:16 AM
  • No, not really. Just 30 minutes ago I ran the wizard to integrate O365 and Azure...just fine. I am wondering what is going on at your site.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Twitter | Facebook | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:02 PM
  • Well that's helpful. I have tried signing in with my administrator's username and password for my Office365 account and also with my Microsoft account, all to no avail.  Yet I can successfully use the latter to log into Azure AD on a fresh install of Windows 10 in the same network.  Connecting a computer to the server fails with the same message as failure to connect to either integration to Azure or Office365 in Essentials.  The computer's control panel states that the computer is joined.  The server shows nothing in dashboard under devices.
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:56 PM
  • Thanks to Mariette Knap my issue has been resolved; skip the temptation to click on the link in Step 10.

I would have preferred to thank Microsoft but I cannot.  In my opinion the installation of Windows Server 2016 Essentials needs far better explanation of choices when following the steps to installation of the product.

Seems there is a great opening for a "Windows Server 2016 Essentials Installation for Dummies" publication. 

• Marked as answer by ahssdude Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:42 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Thanks! What happened is that ahssdude clicked 'Register with Microsoft Cloud Services' while running the Essentials Installation wizard. If you do not have a valid Internet connection that will cause problems. I would skip that step and integrate Microsoft Cloud Services after the server is completely installed and updated. So, finish the installation and run after that windows update before doing anything else on a new server.

How to install Windows Server 2016 Essentials for dummies and professionals

Mariëtte Knap

Sunday, October 30, 2016 5:08 PM
  • I know this thread is a few months old but I was curious if you could elaborate on what the solution was?  I installed Windows Server 2016 Essentials from scratch, was never asked anything about registering with cloud services during installation, yet I am having the same issue.  I noticed that NONE of the services work.  Nothing on the Cloud Services tab of the dashboard, nor does the "Setup remote access" task.  Its a fresh install, fully updated, and nothing else.

I at first thought it was a problem with Microsoft Azure... I spent countless hours on the Azure dashboard adding and deleting things and then trying again.  I even contacted Azure support and they had absolutely no idea and could only say that there is no issues on their end or with my account.

Thanks for any help if anyone is still watching this thread.

Monday, February 27, 2017 4:05 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  Was previously using Windows Server 2016 TP5, everything was fine.

Did a clean install of Windows Server Essentials 2016 and now I cannot connect to Azure AD or Office 365.  No helpful error message.

I did install all updates but that didn't help.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 8:17 PM
  • @AvatarXYZ  If it helps, the only thing I was able to get working so far was the remote access stuff... and it was due to an issue with router not being able to be configured automatically.  I manually forwarded the two ports 443 and 80 to the Essentials server IP and then ran the wizard again and it worked.  I have UPnP enabled on the router as well, so the server should have configured port forwarding automatically but it didn't and wouldn't.

With that being said, it makes me wonder if the other cloud stuff is from the same issue of the router not being able to be configured by the Essentials server properly.  I don't know which ports and all need to be configured for the other services to work so I didn't even try.

I should also note that I am running the Essentials server in a VM on a Windows Server 2016 Host so I "think" that is why the UPnP doesn't work, I don't know.

Just a few things you can maybe look into?

Andrew

P.S.  Another thing I was "thinking" was that maybe the cloud services wouldn't work because like you I had already got the services working on a prior server so when I try to run the wizard on the new server, the cloud services recognize it as a different server and cant be configured to work with two servers.  Almost as if I was suppose to "disconnect" the previous servers from the cloud before I could register this server.  Again, I don't know.  Was just theorizing since I couldn't find any other solutions as of yet.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:25 PM
  • That sounds reasonable, but this is actually the third time we have installed Windows Server.  The First time was Windows Server TP5 and it worked.  Not a VM.

That server died, so we had to reinstall.  This worked as well, also TP5.  The only real problem was that we had to disconnect everyone from the domain and reconnect which means that everyone loses their domain accounts (the data is still there, but everything in in the wrong users/[user] directory.

This is the third time, and it is Windows Server 2016 final.  The only difference that I can think of is the fact that the last two times I installed windows Server Standard with the Essentials Role, this time I went with Windows Server Essentials 2016 right off the bat.

Best,

David Wu

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:06 AM
  • Hi. Just follow this video explanation and I'm sure you'll question and doubts will be away. https://youtu.be/fhsaqvmJ9Y4

Richard Sabino

Monday, August 14, 2017 5:03 AM
  • Not sure what you are trying to tell here Richard. That video has nothing to do with the problem in this thread. Did you even read what the issue is?

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Migrations done the easy way, migrate from SBS 2003, 2008 or 2011 to Windows Server 2016 and Office 365

Saturday, September 02, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Today I setup Server Essentials 2016 and kept hitting the same error.  Eventually I realized my account was setup with Multi Factor Authentication.  I went to my Admin page, looked up my account, clicked the link to edit MFA, disabled, and tried again to sign in on Server Essentials.  Everything worked!
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:03 PM
  • Yes, the Essentials Dashboard does not like Multi-Factor Authentication. It seems MFA is not compatible with the Essentials Dashboard.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Migrations done the easy way, migrate from SBS 2003, 2008 or 2011 to Windows Server 2016 and Office 365

Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:07 AM