Windows 7 RC1 Install Failure: The instruction ... at referenced memory 0x00000000 could not be read. RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I try an upgrade install on my 64 bit laptop, I get this error and it sends me back to Vista.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:07 PM Moved to proper category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to have a check before installation.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

2.    You may use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool in your Windows 7 Installation DVD to check the memory.

3.    Please boot the system to Clean Boot environment and upgrade again.

Clean boot

=================

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please try to upgrading again see if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following document with you:

Step-by-Step: Windows 7 Upgrade and Migration

4.    If the issue persists, please try Clean Install and see if it works.

Note: please back up you files and data first.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• If Your Vista is x32 and Win7 is x64 then You can not upgrade in principle and are to do the clean install instead.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:37 PM
  • My Vista is 64 bit as well. Any other ideas? 
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:08 PM
  • None for now :>(
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to have a check before installation.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

2.    You may use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool in your Windows 7 Installation DVD to check the memory.

3.    Please boot the system to Clean Boot environment and upgrade again.

Clean boot

=================

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please try to upgrading again see if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following document with you:

Step-by-Step: Windows 7 Upgrade and Migration

4.    If the issue persists, please try Clean Install and see if it works.

Note: please back up you files and data first.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:56 AM