Vista USB ports locked to a device RRS feed

• Question

• After removing a USB powered hub devices are not working when connected to a USB root hub. When the powered hub is put back the items work fine.  After finding this issue it appears that no item is detecting while running windows.  If you reboot it will opperate correctly if you  have already used the item in that port.  I have attempted to rename INFCACHE.1, no go.  I have attempted removing all usb items and reboot then adding only one item.  no go.  There are no ! in device manager.  When the items are connected hot, no light comes on on them.  They do not show up as under power settings for the usb device.  Scan for hardware changes does nothing.  But as stated before if you reboot and it was previously connected it will work.  A powered usb power hot detects fine and it is connect to the same root hubs that have the issue.  I have upgraded to SP2 in order to try to solve the issue and no go.  No bios updates are available for computer.  Computer is Dell Dimension 9150,  Chipset has been reinstalled, no change.  Please help. 
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• patjar, its time for us to get to work now (in case anyone wonders, we work together). Does anyone have an opinion about the thoughts of deleting the USB vid keys from the registry? (it'll be a lot of work for her)   patjar, read the remarks in this link and see what you think http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread7700.html however I also found this which the previous link may not satisfy the requirement http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssecurity/thread/7355a214-8546-4358-915e-6d45f9264b74
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Thanks Cd but unfortunately still a no go.  I have attempted to go remove keys and it is looks like it is not possible directly from regeditor.  I have already tried the other steps to clear any abnormailities in Device manager.  there isn't any.  No bangs, no ghost.... 
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:24 PM