Outlook 2016 - Keeps asking for password RRS feed

• Question

• I have done my research.  I have now spent 3 days going through all the steps.  I have removed my email account and added it multiple times.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Today I keep getting asked for my password then it just sends an error that it cannot authenticate.  I dont know what to do anymore.  I have rebooted, logged in as admin.  I have another email account set up and that one has no problems, all the same settings
    Saturday, November 3, 2018 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Kathymably,

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Would you mind providing a screenshot of the pop-up window? If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here.

What’s the detailed error message?

A common cause is the incorrect cache in Windows Credential manager. We can remove the corrupted credentials to check the results.

Please go to Control Panel > Credential Manager. Under Windows Credentials, locate the set of credentials that has Outlook in the name. Click the name to expand the set of credentials, and then click Remove from Vault.

If issue persists, we can also create a new profile in case your personal settings are corrupted.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:03 AM
    Monday, November 5, 2018 3:20 AM
  • Hi Kathymably,

Does Outlook still keep asking for password? Have you found the fix?

Just check if there are anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Hi Kathymably,

Haven't heard an update from you. Have you solved this issue?

Just check if this reply is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, November 12, 2018 6:21 AM