How to create a template document library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I want to create a libray to store common business templates (*.dot and *.dotx): meeting mintures, fax cover sheets, etc.  They will not be storing the docs inside of the library. When a user grabs a template I would like word to open a new docment based on the template. Currently, when someone clicks the document it opens up the original document for editing. How can I change the library to make this work?

thanks

Jake

Friday, December 17, 2010 8:44 PM

Answers

• SharePoint uses what are called content types. The content types appear under "New Documents" of your document library.  You can turn on the management of content types from the Library tab in your doc lib by clicking on

1) Library Settings...

2) Advanced Settings...

3) Change the option on Content types to "Allow Management of content types?" to yes (default is no). After clicking yes on this box it will return you to the Document LIbrary Settings page. Here a new section will be added, "Content types".

4) Click "Add from Existing site content types" to add document to the drop down button which is under "New Documents" on your library.  you will see a complete list under "Available Site Content Types:" which you can choose from.

I have a blog post on which talks about use and options of content types.

http://www.sharepoint2010now.com/Lists/Ask%20Questions%20Here/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2FLists%2FAsk%20Questions%20Here%2FContent%20types&FolderCTID=0x01200200F165C49584233D448E62D57AB42E2594

but the basics are this.  To create a content type click...

1)Site Actions... Site Settings

2) Under "Galleries" click "Site Content Types"

3) On your "Site Content Types Page" Click "Create"

4) This brings you to the Page called "New Site COntent types" Here you choose the name and description of your content type.  You normally choose a Select parent content type (content types can inherite one from another ie parent to child) which would be "Document Content types

5) under "Parent COntent type" choose "Document"

6) if you want to see a organization a new group for your content create it here. under the "New Group Option"

7) click OK

8) The next page will show you under settings "advanced settings" this is where you will upload your existing templates which you want to show under your New option in your document lib.  Use the upload option and click browse to upload your templates. 

9) click ok. 

If you have SharePoint server you will also be given the option of adding policy and you would add workflow to your content types in Designer 2010.  Now after these steps go back to your doc lib add in your new content type and you can use them to creat docuemnts.

Gary Newman
    MCSE, MCT, CCNA, CIW
    MCDBA, MCAD, MCDST, MODL
    MCPD SharePoint Developer 2010
    MCTS SharePoint 2007 Dev and Admin

Gary MCSE
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• SharePoint uses what are called content types. The content types appear under "New Documents" of your document library.  You can turn on the management of content types from the Library tab in your doc lib by clicking on

1) Library Settings...

2) Advanced Settings...

3) Change the option on Content types to "Allow Management of content types?" to yes (default is no). After clicking yes on this box it will return you to the Document LIbrary Settings page. Here a new section will be added, "Content types".

4) Click "Add from Existing site content types" to add document to the drop down button which is under "New Documents" on your library.  you will see a complete list under "Available Site Content Types:" which you can choose from.

I have a blog post on which talks about use and options of content types.

http://www.sharepoint2010now.com/Lists/Ask%20Questions%20Here/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2FLists%2FAsk%20Questions%20Here%2FContent%20types&FolderCTID=0x01200200F165C49584233D448E62D57AB42E2594

but the basics are this.  To create a content type click...

1)Site Actions... Site Settings

2) Under "Galleries" click "Site Content Types"

3) On your "Site Content Types Page" Click "Create"

4) This brings you to the Page called "New Site COntent types" Here you choose the name and description of your content type.  You normally choose a Select parent content type (content types can inherite one from another ie parent to child) which would be "Document Content types

5) under "Parent COntent type" choose "Document"

6) if you want to see a organization a new group for your content create it here. under the "New Group Option"

7) click OK

8) The next page will show you under settings "advanced settings" this is where you will upload your existing templates which you want to show under your New option in your document lib.  Use the upload option and click browse to upload your templates. 

9) click ok. 

If you have SharePoint server you will also be given the option of adding policy and you would add workflow to your content types in Designer 2010.  Now after these steps go back to your doc lib add in your new content type and you can use them to creat docuemnts.

Gary Newman
    MCSE, MCT, CCNA, CIW
    MCDBA, MCAD, MCDST, MODL
    MCPD SharePoint Developer 2010
    MCTS SharePoint 2007 Dev and Admin

Gary MCSE
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi Gary

Thanks a bunch for the feedback! I have a few content types setup for other libraries but I'm not sure it would work for this function. These docs might not be stored in SharePoint at all. Think of a fax cover sheet. My users want to be able to go to a library, find a standard coversheet, fill and print it off. If I include a FaxCoverSheet.dotx in the library I would like the user to click on the template and have it work like a template and open up a new word doc.

Thanks

Jake

Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:48 PM