none
DPM couldn't delete old Recovery Point RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Concern,

I have DPM 2012 R2 version and configured Protection Group to backup Exchange Databases. It takes backup by followed protection group policy but didn't delete old Recovery point. I configured 5 days Retention period but I saw the last 6 months Backup stored in DPM and it couldn't delete old recovery point.

Can you advise me why DPM stored all old staff?

Your cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Babu

• Edited by Babu007 Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:19 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Babu007,

Is DPM removing old recovery points for other datasources as mentioned in the PG? Or is it with only exchange DB?

We need to find out if pruning job is running as per the schedule, run the following query against the DPMDB and share the output:

select top 15 

TaskID,

jobid,

VerbID,

LastStateName,

CreatedDateTime,

StartedDateTime,

StoppedDateTime

from tbl_TE_TaskTrail

where verbid in

(

'282FAAC6-E3CB-4015-8C6D-4276FCCA11D4',

'195DCAAD-B3E6-4aa4-BFB9-0D5517118C0C',

'7B5126DA-ACD6-4743-8FE6-08ADCA2D5F1B'

)

order by CreatedDateTime desc

Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure the pruning job has been successfully run, it runs by default at midnight, you can also manually trigger the pruning script, it's located in the bin folder of your DPM installation folder.

For example:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin\pruneshadowcopiesDpm.ps1

You can also take a look at this:
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points - version 2

Also make sure you are running on the latest Update Rollup for DPM 2012 R2.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:11 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for replying. I checked the DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points - version 2 script. 

The script was hanged when I run. How I can check the pruning job status from DPM shell.

Thanks.

Babu

Friday, June 26, 2020 10:57 AM
  • There's no way of checking the status of the pruning job in the DPM shell unfortunately, but if you run the script manually from PowerShell/DPM Shell and the script runs without errors, then it has likely succeeded.

You can also check the SQL logs to check the status of each maintenance procedure job if they have been successful or not.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, June 26, 2020 11:08 AM