Win 7 RTM Mouse Freezes (Sometimes Keyboard Also) After Logon RRS feed

• Question

• I Have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 64 bit (from Technet), Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2L with 2.8Ghz Athlon, 4GB, 100GB+, Logitech USB Wireless Internet 1500 Keyboard/Mouse.

System fires up OK, At the Logon Screen the mouse and KB work fine, enter password, system logs on, desktop displays and usually the mouse will respond and KB work fine.
    Sometimes (and it seems to be occuring more frequently) after you logon, you see the desktop, and the mouse will move but after a second or two, it freezes and the only option is to either reboot or add another mouse. The Keyboard stays responsive, but even it ceases to respond after a few more seconds sometimes requiring a hard reset.

So far today i have been unable to use the system at all!

Any ideas please!
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:22 PM

Answers

• Thanks Robinson, with regard to using Safe Mode, to check the issue; I forgot to try it!

I assumed (i know i should'nt assume anything), that it was a 'driver/setting' issue, so i installed the latest Logitech SetPoint  (i know its not Win 7 certified) to 'fix' the issue; Which made it far worse; But the unistallation of which seems to have fixed the problem, as it hasn't been a problem now for about two days (it had been an intermittent problem for a couple of weeks).

I did check the Event Logs but there didn't appear to be any entries regarding Mouse, Keyboard or similar events, except for the detection of a wired mouse, on the instances i installed it.

So fingers crossed! Whatever the cause was, installing and uninstalling SetPoint seems to have corrected it - Time will tell!

• Marked as answer by Neil In Derby Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:01 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:00 AM

All replies

• Thanks OldHobo, but i only replaced the batteries with new ones a couple of days ago, so don't see this as likely, but i will change them again as you suggest.

One extra thing i have determined when the Wireless mouse one stops working (but the KB still works); is that Windows has removed the Wireless mouse one from its hardware list.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Does the issue occur in Safe Mode?

Can you verify the Event Log?

Thanks.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:10 AM

• Thanks Robinson, with regard to using Safe Mode, to check the issue; I forgot to try it!

I assumed (i know i should'nt assume anything), that it was a 'driver/setting' issue, so i installed the latest Logitech SetPoint  (i know its not Win 7 certified) to 'fix' the issue; Which made it far worse; But the unistallation of which seems to have fixed the problem, as it hasn't been a problem now for about two days (it had been an intermittent problem for a couple of weeks).

I did check the Event Logs but there didn't appear to be any entries regarding Mouse, Keyboard or similar events, except for the detection of a wired mouse, on the instances i installed it.

So fingers crossed! Whatever the cause was, installing and uninstalling SetPoint seems to have corrected it - Time will tell!

• Marked as answer by Neil In Derby Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:01 AM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:00 AM
  • hi guys,,im having the same problem but with a difference.

i have win 7 running on a good spec gaming machine..

Manufacturer:
    D-DAY'S Custom Build
    Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory:
    4096MB RAM ddr2 crucial balistics with led's
    Hard Drive:
    159 GB
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor:
    Acer Farrari 22" wide screen
    Sound Card:
    Speakers steel series (C-Media CM108 Like Sound Device)
    Speakers/Headphones:
    steel series 7.1 suround sound headset
    Keyboard:
    logitechg15 gaming keyboard
    Mouse:
    Logitec G9 Laser
    Mouse Surface:
    COD4 QPAD i34 special edition
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Motherboard:
    Abit IX 38 Quad GT
    Computer Case:
    Xblade

anyway  my mouse regularly keeps freezing up..as it does this it will drop the driver and sound like it reinstalls it,,however it still freezes up all the time,,through my headset i can hear the driver as if its being unplugged and re plugged back in...the thing is its getting progressively worse everyday at shorter intervals ,to the point that i cant game anymore,,,its now doing it every 5-10 mins....please can someone help me with this.....its realy getting me down,,my addiction needs topping up everyday and i cant do that with this happening all the time lol...

Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:53 PM