NetApp Nseries RRS feed

• Question

• This Branchcache has peaked my interest as we move to igrate to server 2008 r2 and widows 7. We have a number of sites that would benefit from this, but I have a question about main office.

We are installing a netApp Nseries box to host not only our Vmware servers, but also our files using CIFS. Does the branchoffice cache have to have a server 2008 file server at the main office with just server 2008 r2 branchoffice enabled servers at the remote sites, or do you need a server at both ends.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

If we deploy BranchCache in distributed cache mode, we just need to have a Windows Server 2008 R2 File Server at the main office.

If we deploy BranchCache in hosted cache mode, we need to have a Windows Server 2008 R2 File Server at the main office and a Windows Server 2008 R2 server houses a cache at the branch office.

Deploy BranchCache

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649258(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Derek Bowen Monday, November 2, 2009 2:41 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

If we deploy BranchCache in distributed cache mode, we just need to have a Windows Server 2008 R2 File Server at the main office.

If we deploy BranchCache in hosted cache mode, we need to have a Windows Server 2008 R2 File Server at the main office and a Windows Server 2008 R2 server houses a cache at the branch office.

Deploy BranchCache

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649258(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Derek Bowen Monday, November 2, 2009 2:41 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Monday, November 2, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Hi there,

Yes the info did help, sorry jsut getting to read this, does not solve my problem then due to the files stting on a NAS type box with no file server.

Monday, November 2, 2009 2:41 PM