Create and organize MPs, Alert- and State Views RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together,

I am a little bit squeezed between two teams which have defined their expectations to our SCOM solution. Basically we have a Database team and an OS team. The last takes care about hardware, OS and all services which may run on a Windows box etc. On to the questions they asked me and I couldn't answer so far:

1. Would it be possible to create an Alert View, State View etc. which contains events of different technologies (MPs) i.e. all alerts of Hyper-V, Sharepoint, Windows etc. or do I have to define each separately one by one?
    2. Would it be possible to create an alert view, state view etc. while limiting it's scope i.e. I want to get all Windows events for the Database team on all servers which have SQL installed?
    3. Would it be possible to sort the MP in a more structural order i.e. I want to create a major MP for All Windows Server with sub MPs below for specific OS versions or services hosted like IIS etc?

Thank you in advance.

M.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:58 PM

Answers

• If you use a combination of computer groups and management packs, along with end user scoping features in the product, you should be able to meet most of your goals.

computer groups can be used to simplify scoping - so if user Joe is scoped to a particular group, then Joe will only see alerts for computers in that group.

management packs, such as the operating system management pack, give you the ability to do grouping on an OS version basis - so you could create user scopes for different versions of the OS

Views can be custom for a user and a MP defined class or scope.

The structural question is about how the MP's are designed. Unfortunately you can't pivot on them once they are designed.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Maik Dunker Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:41 PM

All replies

• If you use a combination of computer groups and management packs, along with end user scoping features in the product, you should be able to meet most of your goals.

computer groups can be used to simplify scoping - so if user Joe is scoped to a particular group, then Joe will only see alerts for computers in that group.

management packs, such as the operating system management pack, give you the ability to do grouping on an OS version basis - so you could create user scopes for different versions of the OS

Views can be custom for a user and a MP defined class or scope.

The structural question is about how the MP's are designed. Unfortunately you can't pivot on them once they are designed.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Maik Dunker Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Hello Maik,

Very glad to hear the issue resolved. Also, if you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know and we are happy to be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:23 AM