locked
MDT and DFS-r replication RRS feed

  • Question

  • We are using MDT and using replication to 9 other sites. The deployment at our main building runs without a problem. However, the deployment was failing at the other sites. We found that in the Control folder, ts.xml, the deployment was still pointing to our server at the main building. Manually changing this to each specific site solved our problem. 

    Question is when replication is performed this file will be over written again. How can we configure so that the ts.xml file is specific for each school without having to manually correct it after each replication.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Monday, June 13, 2016 1:39 PM

Answers

  • Hi

    There is 2 solutions as I see.

    1) Exclude the ts.xml from your DFS

    2) Move to use only One Task Sequence with variables

    I preferred number 2.

    Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.
    • Marked as answer by Burntout Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:09 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 3:17 PM

All replies

  • Hi

    I do not know what that are specific for each Task Sequence - But I only use one Task Sequence.

    And then I do variables in the Task Sequence, Customsettings.ini or MDT DB for location specific settings/application.

    Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

    Monday, June 13, 2016 2:41 PM
  • We have the bootstrap.ini file set up with each sites default gateway and ip address. The pc's pxe without any problem and the task sequence starts. It was failing initially. We found that in the ts.xml file the server listed was the main server, not the server at the location. We changed the ts.xml at each site. My problem will be when replication occurs that it will be overwritten. We just want the task sequence run from each site from their server.
    Monday, June 13, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Hi

    There is 2 solutions as I see.

    1) Exclude the ts.xml from your DFS

    2) Move to use only One Task Sequence with variables

    I preferred number 2.

    Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.
    • Marked as answer by Burntout Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:09 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 3:17 PM
  • You're using deployroot as the variable?

    [Settings]
    Priority=Default, DefaultGateway
    
    [DefaultGateway]
    
    172.30.1.1=CHICAGO
    172.30.2.1=ATLANTA
    172.30.3.1=NEWYORK
    
    [Default]
    
    DeployRoot=\\MDT\ProductionShare$
    
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    UserID=JoinAD
    UserDomain=ACME
    UserPassword=P@$$W0RD!
    
    [CHICAGO]
    DeployRoot=\\MDT\ProductionShare$
    
    [ATLANTA]
    DeployRoot=\\MDTATLANTA\ProductionShare$
    
    [NEWYORK]
    DeployRoot=\\MDTNEWYORK\ProductionShare$


    • Edited by MDT Guy Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:20 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:12 PM
  • Yes. The problem wasn't in the deploy root. I have a variable checking machine model for driver injection. It was pointing to our main MDT server. I changed the script in the ts.xml file to point to the local server and it deploys with no problem.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:25 AM