none
Dates do not correspond to duration RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server 2010

I have a project with many tasks that run constantly, so I set a 24/7 project calendar.  Most are calculating correctly, but one of those task with a Fixed Duration of 10 days is reflecting only four calendar days (i.e. 8/15 - 8/19).  The generic resource has the same 24/7 calendar with 100% unit allocation. 

Settings:

Autoscheduled, As soon as possible, no dates constraints and only one FS predecessor.

Same result regardless if the "ignore resource calendar" or "effort based" are selected.

Testing with fixed work of 240 hours generates 24 day duration but the correct 8/15 - 8/25 dates.

What am I overlooking!?

(Oddly, on another task with same resource and settings, a 64.5 day duration task is calculating 26 days and on one with 36 day duration, 45 days.)

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:46 PM

Answers

• this has to do with how Project converts the 'Day' unit into hours.

To see what I mean, go to File | Options | Schedule and change Hours Per Day to 24. Then change the duration back to 10 days. You then see the dates you wish to see.

When you have the 24 hour a day calendar the duration field can often show you numbers that do not match your expectation if you show duration in days.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by rswposts Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:21 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:41 PM

All replies

• this has to do with how Project converts the 'Day' unit into hours.

To see what I mean, go to File | Options | Schedule and change Hours Per Day to 24. Then change the duration back to 10 days. You then see the dates you wish to see.

When you have the 24 hour a day calendar the duration field can often show you numbers that do not match your expectation if you show duration in days.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by rswposts Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:21 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Thank you!  I do that so infrequently that I forgot that! 

Default Start and End times are 7am / 5pm (not midnight) and the days per month are still 20.  It seems to work that way, but am I in for a surprise leaving it like that (or risking a mess if I change them now)?

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:32 PM