none
Enumeration error when trying to add members to Ptorction Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am getting the following error when trying to add a local drive located on my DPM server to a protection group.  This error pops up when I expand the DPM server in the Available Members list.

"DPM is unable to enumerate contents in de3b0d1a6050478b9e631b8ec3f1b385 ,f557d1a1c41e451397a9ebb30a6fda69 on the protected computer Storage-1.sciinc.local. Recycle Bin, System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, Quorum Disk (for cluster) and other removable media cannot be protected. (ID: 38)"

This worked as of a few months ago.  Now it does not but I'm not sure when the problem started.  How can I determine what is causing this error?  Are there additional logs I can look at?

I can tell you that this drive is NTFS, it is NOT a part of a cluster and it is not a removable disk.  There is a DFS root folder on one of the folders however I do not believe that to be the problem because I am able to enumerate disks on other file servers that have the same DFS setup.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Correct, once a data source is protected (A volume in your case) - then it cannot be included in another protection group.  I understand your intent - have separate folder / shares in separate PG's so you can have different protection goals and SLA - however DPM's intent manager uses the Volume GUID as the data source.

The best you can do is make mountpoints for the subfolders so the data is physically located on a separate volume, then DPM will allow you to protect each mountpoint  in a separate PG. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by ward_sci Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:22 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I am getting the following error when trying to add a local drive located on my DPM server to a protection group.  This error pops up when I expand the DPM server in the Available Members list.

"DPM is unable to enumerate contents in de3b0d1a6050478b9e631b8ec3f1b385 ,f557d1a1c41e451397a9ebb30a6fda69 on the protected computer Storage-1.sciinc.local. Recycle Bin, System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, Quorum Disk (for cluster) and other removable media cannot be protected. (ID: 38)"

This worked as of a few months ago.  Now it does not but I'm not sure when the problem started.  How can I determine what is causing this error?  Are there additional logs I can look at?

I can tell you that this drive is NTFS, it is NOT a part of a cluster and it is not a removable disk.  There is a DFS root folder on one of the folders however I do not believe that to be the problem because I am able to enumerate disks on other file servers that have the same DFS setup.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

That popup is normal - after you click close, it should list shares, volumes, and system protection - under volumes, is the volume drive letter in question listed ?   If not, create a share on the root of the volume and re-enumerate - is the share listed under shares ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Yes, after I close the popup it does list the shares and the volumes.  However the folders and the shares do not have a check box next to them and I cannot add them to the selected members side.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:30 AM
  • Hello,

Any additional ideas on this issue?  I do see all the folders and shares listed but most of them do not have a check box next to them and I see no way to move them over the to selected items pane, thus I am unable to add them to the protection group.

I am assuming that the popup dialog is related to this because previously I did not get that popup and I was able to move any of the folders or shares into the protection group.  Now I get the popup and most folders and shares on that drive cannot be moved.  But maybe it is not related, I do not know.  I am trying to figure out where to look or what experiments I can run to narrow this issue down further.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

I have never seen the condition you describe unless the data source is already protected, which I assume is not the case.  Please open a support case to help investigate the issue.

If you want to pursue this immediately, you can visit the following web site to open a support incident. The charge to your CC will not be processed until your case is resolved and closed, if it's a code defect in the DPM then we wave all charges.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

In the Quick product finder, enter:

System Center 2012 then select System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager
    System Center 2012 R2 then select System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager

In the next screen, chose the option that applies.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Ok, I think I'm seeing where the problem is here.  I was not trying to have two protection groups back up the same data.  However, I am trying to have "Protection Group 1" back up a folder on a drive.  And then "Protection Group 2" back up a different folder on from same drive.  It appears that I cannot do that - is that expected behavior?
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

Correct, once a data source is protected (A volume in your case) - then it cannot be included in another protection group.  I understand your intent - have separate folder / shares in separate PG's so you can have different protection goals and SLA - however DPM's intent manager uses the Volume GUID as the data source.

The best you can do is make mountpoints for the subfolders so the data is physically located on a separate volume, then DPM will allow you to protect each mountpoint  in a separate PG. 

• Marked as answer by ward_sci Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:22 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:13 PM