none
About deleting timesheet along with projects in project server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server provides the capabilities to delete "Project" and delete "timesheet" by period.

If I delete a published project, the project data is removed from the published and reporting data tables, but the timesheet data is still there, but I want to also delete the timesheets for these projects. However, Project Server seems do not provide a way to delete a way to delete "timesheet by projects".

Then the questions, do project server allows to delete projects along with timesheets together? If no, what would be the best way to delete the timesheet data?

Thanks.

Kevin Li

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

The fact that timesheets of deleted projects are still in the reporting DB after the project deletion is by design. Keeping all submitted timesheet is mandatory to preserve the company governance, since time spend on any activity has to be reported, at least for HR purpose, eventhough the project has to be deleted.

Meaning that timesheet should not be deleted, only recalled. I believe that the timesheet deletion by period functionality is meant in order to cleaning up the database from old projects with no needs for reporting anymore.

Anyway if you need to delete timesheet by period, I guess the only way to do that would be to execute SQL queries directly in the MSP_TimesheetActual table of the reporting DB.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Thanks, Guillaume. The reason I ask about this is we are considering the archive and purge approach for project server. We would like to archive the closed project and then purge the closed project, including all the data for the closed projects, to avoid potential performance impacts.

And by the way, if we use API, can we delete timesheet by projects from the reporting tables?

Kevin Li

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:12 AM