none
Macro to check for assignments on summary tasks? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of a macro that can check for resource, predecessor, and/or successor assignments on summary tasks in Project 2010?

We regularly work with schedules that have 5k+ lines and if we make a mistake and accidentally end up with a resource, predecessor, and/or successor on a summary line and try to publish, the process takes 10 times longer than normal.

We would like to quickly double-check for errors before hitting the “publish” button.

Daren Johnson

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This may help:

Sub CheckSummaries

for each job in activeproject.tasks

if not job is nothing then

Job.Flag1=job.summary and (job.predecessortasks.count>0) and (job.successortasks.count>0)

end if

next job

Now filter for Flag1 Yes to see the errors.

Greetings

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Daren,

Jan has already provided the answer, but how about a filter ?

Regards.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Very elegant!
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Thank you both for your input.  Filter works exactly like we need it to.

Thanks!

Daren Johnson

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Admins, I do appreciate Jan's input on my question but his macro did not do exactly what I was looking for and thus, his post was NOT the answer to my question.

I have marked the correct post as the answer to my question, thank you.

Daren Johnson

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Hi Daren,

Next time, if a macro is not what you are looking for, please don't ask for a macro. My post was the answer to your question, yes, your question which asked for a macro!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Again, as I said, I really do appreciate everyone's response and the time it took for everyone to answer but quite frankly, the macro did not work.  I asked for a macro that identified Summary tasks that had predecessors, successors, or resource names assigned and as it was posted, it did not single out a line that had a successor on a summary task

I'm not here to argue but I certainly don't appreciate other people trying to tell me what the answer to my question was, especially when one of the options didn't work.

Jan, in regards to your last jab at me, next time, if you are posting a solution for a participant, please ensure it does what the person asks for before marking it as "the answer" and then being rude to them when they choose an option that worked, even though it wasn't exactly what they asked for!

Daren Johnson

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, there indeed was an error - if you still want to see a tested macro, I've edited.

Greetings,

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:48 PM
  • I would be interested in this macro and applying it to my same issue.  Thank you
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:33 PM
  • I would be interested in this macro and applying it to my same issue.  Thank you

Justin,

The filter (marked as the answer above) works perfectly for checking on predecessors, successors, and resource asignments on summary tasks.

No macros needed!

DJ Johnson

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:37 PM
  • Darren,

If I had spotted your question earlier I would have suggested that a filter is all you need.

I keep a number of simple filters for such diagnostics and I run them all the time to check for and eliminate routine errors which just arise by accident in the normal course of the planning work (especially if inexperienced people are working on your plans). It is just standard housekeeping and hygiene and quality control. It is a simple matter to come up with a checklist and run through it frequently (every morning). I also have filters to check for tasks which don't have predecessors or don't have successors, or have weird links such as FF, SS, SF and positive or negative lag.

MSP already includes a built in Summary filter. I run it and just scan the resulting list for predecessors, successors, resource assignments and fixed cost. Keep those pesky summaries clean! The more practice you get, the less the problems occur and the easier they are to spot, because you are constantly alert to them.

BTW, Jan has been providing generous, reliable and near perfect advice in this forum and in its predecessor newsgroup for about 20 years, and scolding him over one slip up is not advisable.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:57 PM
  • I wanted to use the macro so that I could force the action on Publishing the Plan back to the server.  The filter is still relying on the PM to do this.  I would rather force it.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad someone is interested in my work. Feel free. If you want some extra, please ask.

Greetings,

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:45 AM
  • Yes, I am.  Is it just the macro in this thread or is it something else?  My apologies, I am a noobie to forum as you can tell by my 5 points!  :-)

Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Darren,

If I had spotted your question earlier I would have suggested that a filter is all you need.

BTW, Jan has been providing generous, reliable and near perfect advice in this forum and in its predecessor newsgroup for about 20 years, and scolding him over one slip up is not advisable.

Trevor, thank you for your timely response to my question from 9/11/2012... for elaborating so beautifully on filters... and for your fatherly advise on how I should allow people to call me out because I asked for a macro when a filter actually did the trick.

Oh, AND... for misspelling my name.

You've given me something to smile about this morning!

Have a wonderful day!

DJ Johnson

Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:45 PM