none
SCDPM 2016 - BMR Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of testing SCDPM 2016 as a replacement for Arcserve to backup my entire infrastructure.  I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting what is and isn't backed up in a BMR and System State backup.  I have not run any actual backups yet with this server; trying to plan my backup strategy.

According the the documentation: "Bare metal backup protects your operating system files and data (except for data on critical volumes)" 

Can anyone explain what exactly they mean by "except for data on critical volumes" and what are they defining a critical volume? Does that mean they are grabbing critical drives but skipping the data files?  Is there anywhere to see a list of every file that has been backed up after running a job?  I have a couple scenarios below.

1. File server with OS on C:\ and all file shares on D:\.  I think I would do a BMR backup to get an image of C: then a regular file backup of the D:\ drive.  To recover I'd do a BMR restore followed by a file restore?
    2. Misc utility server with only a C:\ drive.  Let's say I have a folder C:\scripts that hold a bunch of scripts that are run from task scheduler.  Maybe I have some files in the Administrator's Documents or Desktop folder?  Will all the C:\ drive be backed up or is it going to skip some of these files?
    3.  Application server that runs SQL and some other application with only a C:\ drive.  Assuming I only need a weekly recovery point of any data on this server, can I just run a BMR once per week to get everything, or will the SQL databases be skipped because they are "data on a critical drive"?

• Edited by bfox_macs Friday, January 26, 2018 1:47 PM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

BMR backs up operating system files and all data except user data on critical volumes. Critical Volume is your boot volume, system volume and volume hosting system state data, without data drives (D:, etc.).

For you File Server, you can create a BMR backup and File based protection for you data volumes. The C:\Script folder will be backed up with BMR on your Misc Server, but I would recommend that you also configured a file based protection so you will be able to restore only the "c:\script" folder if necessary. For you SQL server you should use BMR backup and a SQL database backup. 

You can also check this link https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758150(v=sc.12).aspx

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. 

Hope this helps

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

Monday, January 29, 2018 7:08 PM