How to get start time and stop time of Host Instances? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to get the start time and stop time of host instances to monitor the up-time and down-time of BizTalk host instances.

I have used BHM tool which shows the started time of host instances but couldn't get the SQL table from where it is extracted.
    BHM's "Queries" tab shows it is a SQL query on BiztalkMgmtDb, but couldn't find any table which has "Running" and "Startedtime" columns.

Can we make any query, either in SQL or in WMI, to extract the start date-time and stop date-time of host instances?

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:15 AM

Answers

• Let me ask why you are doing this.  There really should be no downtime for a BizTalk Host Instance other than planned.

Unplanned downtime, crashes and such, will write events to the Event Log so that's is the correct place to monitor this.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:05 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:54 PM

All replies

• "ProcessHeartbeats" table under BizTalkMsgBoxDb database contains the information about the current Host Instances which are running.

dtCreationTime will give you the time when a particular host was restarted ie. StartTime 

-If you find an entry in this table, which means the Host Instance is running.

-The entry will be deleted from the table when a Host Instance is stopped and once its started back the entry will be created in the table with new dtCreationTime.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Let me ask why you are doing this.  There really should be no downtime for a BizTalk Host Instance other than planned.

Unplanned downtime, crashes and such, will write events to the Event Log so that's is the correct place to monitor this.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:05 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Hi Pratibha,

I would suggest host instances should be up and running ?

If you need to for  Monitoring option ,BizTalk360 gives you good option to monitor host instaces ,receive port ,Orchestration and send ports .

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:02 PM
  • In addition to Abishek's answer, BizTalk360 also gives you the option to automatically restart hostinstances (and other artifacts like send ports, receivelocations etc.) in case they go down.
    I do agree though, that host instances should not stop on their own, if they do this normally indicates a deeper issue, which should be investigated.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:32 PM
  • Hi Pratibha,

When the host instance is down it writes the information to eventviewer. If you want email alerts you can point tools like Splunk to the eventlog which sends notifications and also BizTalk360 is another option.

Cheers

JB

Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:15 PM