Problems App-v sequencing snagIT v11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to sequence SnagIt 11 with app-v 4.6 to deploy it to a Windows 7 PC using SCCM 2012. During sequencing when I attempt to launch snagIT I get an error "Unable to start snagpriv.exe" I have checked the net and have found a solution - refer below. Apparently I need to add an "Envlist" entry to the OSD before I finish the sequencing package. I have done this during sequencing and also have tried to edit an existing package after sequencing but it doesn't fix the problem.

I believe the problem is because I get the error during the "run the application stage" of the sequencing process and before I add the entry to the OSD tab. Therefore, is there anyway I can launch the application, accept the error, add the entry to the OSD tab and then somehow relaunch the application before I save/finalise the package?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bryan.

http://www.itninja.com/question/snagit-11-on-windows-7-unable-to-start-snagpriv-exe

"  It seems that there is an extra bit of code you can insert into the AppV OSD file to make Snagit work..."

< ENVLIST>
         <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="__COMPAT_LAYER">RunAsInvoker</ENVIRONMENT>
    < /ENVLIST>

- See more at: http://www.itninja.com/question/snagit-11-on-windows-7-unable-to-start-snagpriv-exe#sthash.tMGAGiW8.dpuf

• Edited by Wotty04 Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:45 PM
    • Moved by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, October 25, 2013 10:39 AM Not related to Server App-V
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Mate,

I tried deploying the application, without making the envlist change during sequencing. After I deployed to a machine, I modfied the OSD to add the envlist variable but still received the error.

Decided to cut my losses and deploy locally with a transform file.

Thanks for all your help.

• Marked as answer by Wotty04 Monday, October 28, 2013 10:17 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 10:16 PM

All replies

• This extra bit of code is something you add afterwards, when your package is complete. Just edit your OSD and add the code.
    The only thing this code creates, is an environment variabele called __COMPAT_LAYER, google it and you know where it's for :)

It not needed during sequence, because you are allready local admin with elevated rights while running the sequencer.

Did you try the sollution from itninja (enable internet connection). What happens if you do not launch the app during sequence?

Friday, October 25, 2013 7:47 PM
  • May I suggest you use this Accelerator:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SnagIT-1100207-afb7fa67

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I have tried running as admin and the virtual machine does have internet access. I think the problem is because you launch the application, and suffer the error, before you get a chance to modify OSD with the envlist entry and then save it. 

If I don't launch the application during sequencing the OSD and application manifest file do not get created.

We have sequenced a dozen or so apps and haven't received anywhere near the problems we experienced with this app. Maybe time to look for an alternative application.

Thanks again.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Thanks mate. 

I haven't used a package accelerator before but i'm assuming this file 11.0 will not working with the latest version we have downloaded, version 11.2? I also noted in the OSD file in the package accelerator doesn't include the envlist entry?

Thanks again.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:51 AM
  • If I don't launch the application during sequencing the OSD and application manifest file do not get created.

Sequence again, do not start the application, do not save the package, but continue, add the shortcut for snagit (if it's not there). Do not start the app for streaming, save the package... There should be an OSD now (each shortcut should result in an OSD). Edit the osd and add the env. var.
    I'll run a sequence of this snagit version next monday (if I get the time for it :))
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Thanks Tiberivs. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how i go.
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Hi Wotty

2 ideas. have you tried the following:

1. - during sequencing phase open cmd as administrator and type
    C:\> SETX [VARIABLE] [VARIABLEVALUE] /M

this shuold add the environment variable to the machine while sequencing the app. in that case it should be a part of the package and then you should be able to launch it in the "Run the application page"

2. - I understand why this issue can be a bummer if you want to use the streaming phase.
    if idea no.1  doesn't work, sequence the package and don't open it, add the environment variable manually into the OSD file and save the package.

then modify the package and choose to update, finish monitoring and then try to open it in the "Run the application page". the application should open then.

good luck

Tamir Levy

Sunday, October 27, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Tried this Tiberivs but received the same error.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Thanks Tamirlevy.

Tried 1) and received exactly the same error  - i'e.  "Unable to start snagpriv.exe"

Tried 2) and received an error that the OSD file is corrupt.

Regards

Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:42 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. I decided to deploy locally with a transform file.

Cheers.

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Hi again, so I downloaden the 11.2 trail version and created a quick and dirty App-V package. I started the package during sequence and choose for the trail. I also for streaming and indeed recieved the error.

The sequenced also reports that there is a printerdriver installed, together with this error:

The Sequencer detected a DCOM subsystem. Application components that use DCOM will not work with App-V.

The DCOM subsystems detected are as follows:
    SnagItET (AccessPermissionDllSurrogate) 

I suppose the above error is related to the priveliged needed to start snagpriv.exe.

After that I did a little cleanup, I created the package. Deployed it to a machine and also received the error "Unable to start snagpriv.exe", so I modified the OSD file and added __COMPAT_LAYER env variable. Problem solved.

So what going wrong at with your package??

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Monday, October 28, 2013 2:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Wotty04 Monday, October 28, 2013 10:17 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Hi Mate,

I tried deploying the application, without making the envlist change during sequencing. After I deployed to a machine, I modfied the OSD to add the envlist variable but still received the error.

Decided to cut my losses and deploy locally with a transform file.

Thanks for all your help.

Monday, October 28, 2013 10:16 PM
  • That Environment Variable was already in the OSD file after I sequenced it. I was able to get around this issue by creating a SHIM and assigning the RunAsInvoker fix to snagit32.exe.

After that, deploy the shim to the users that need the app.

You can find a good walkthrough here. http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsft/archive/2013/10/09/app-v-on-application-compatibility-and-shims-with-regards-to-applications-virtualized-with-app-v-4-x-and-5-x.aspx

Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:36 PM