none
Settings>Windows Update is still unstable and crashes in WinX ALL versions RRS feed

• Question

• I reported a few weeks ago about frequent crashes of "Settings>Windows Update" dialog window. What is the progress on this defect resolution?

I'm busy un-pausing December's updates in order to re-pause and avoid the January updates until all patches are patched post public beta testing in 30 days. I have 60 WinX PCs to manually update the first week of every month. I am still seeing about 30% of the dialog windows simply close spontaneously or crash when I click on the Pause button.

When will this defect be corrected? I see it on 100% of the WinX PCs in our small county government and at home on private systems, and in my many private customer's PCs.

It gets old really quick having to open the dialog 3-4 times in a row simply trying to update safely.

I am also hoping that a genuine 6 sigma QA program will be put in place and end this insanity of public beta testing. Fixing issues I do not create is VERY expensive. I have seen defect rates as high at 3/25 when it should be 1/100,000 defects. Demming must be rolling over in his grave that MS chooses not to do the right and moral thing! They need to offer FREE support for their crappy update process in lieu of a true QA program.

I'm on 1803.

KA

Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Was there any error code or error message when Windows Update crashed? You could share the screenshot through OneDrive and attach the shared link in your reply at your convenience.

Note: Please hide your privacy information in the upload picture.

In addtion, I suggest you install the latest update directly. Meanwhile, it is strongly recommended to install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) before installing the latest cumulative update,

Hope these are helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 4, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hello,

Try to re-register Settings app:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-settings-app-not-working-in-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Friday, January 4, 2019 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 7, 2019 6:31 AM
  • There is no error message. The dialog window simply closes.

I doubt all 60 PCs at DSS unregistered Windows Update. I doubt my private customers did the same.

No, this issue is on going and needs resolution. I tried updating two PCs today and Windows Update crashed once.

I can eventually update in all cases on all PCs. I had one PC with 100% closing of the dialog but I managed to reset that unit and then update to 1809. I do not know if this issue continues on 1809. I'll have to do some testing on that one unit.

Monday, January 7, 2019 9:30 PM