none
Unable to Open Project Pro from Ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• Can open Project Pro 2010 and connect directly to Proj Serv 2010 without issue.

From PWA, cannot launch Project Pro 2010 from PRoj Center icon or by highlighting row and selecting Open | In PRoject Pro for Editing.

PWA site is trusted.  User has Admin rights in PRoj SErv.  Other users can successfully open using aforementioned methods.

Issue appears local.  Ideas?

Friday, March 2, 2012 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

does the URL of PWA match exactly URL in Project client profile?
    Is protected mode disabled in Internet Explorer (Internet Options - Security)?

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, March 2, 2012 4:05 PM
  • I would remove the current profile configuration in Project pro. Clean the cache if you have anything.

Configure again with appropriate PWA url and make that as Default. Check the status.

If that doesn't work, login as different account on the same machine.

Configure again with appropriate PWA url and make that as Default. Check the status.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:11 AM
  • In addition to those bits of advice, you may also wish to confirm that IT didn't use App-V to push the client to your laptop.  That would result in the same symptoms.  I've seen that happen with my clients - although the fact that you're the only one with this issue seems to indicate it's not the case.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, March 4, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Why don't you act as a delegate for the user and see if you get the same issue? If yes, then it would be a permissions problem.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

it is not possible to work with Project Pro with an active delegate session.

Sorry
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:12 PM
  • The way I understood the problem, in PWA the user cannot click on the 'open' icon which opens Project Pro. ("From PWA, cannot launch Project Pro 2010 from PRoj Center icon or by highlighting row and selecting Open").

What I am suggesting is that the administrator sets up a new delegate, which is the user name. Next step is to act as that delegate, all in PWA. If they 'open' icon is still greyed out, then the issue must be with permissions.

Is my assumption correct or have I missed something?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

this button will be greyed out running a delegate session - even running session for users with admin permissions. Project Pro can't connect, if there is an active delegate session, therefore buttons are disabled.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.

The delegate function is essential to help the administrator to see what access the user has. How can the administrator see if the user is able to access Project Pro? Does she have to go to each individual's workstation to test it out?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Yes, this is the only chance. Or use a remote tool to see what a user is doing, like team viewer, vnc, join.me, ....

Sorry!
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:43 PM
  • HFprojects --

If a user is a member of the Project Managers group or the Administrators group in PWA, they have permission to use Project Professional 2010 and connect to Project Server.  This is assuming, however, that you have not edited the security settings in either of these Groups or the Categories that are part of these two Groups.  Assuming you have not edited either of these Groups, members of the Project Managers group can see, open, and edit only their own projects.  Members of the Administrators group can see, open, and edit EVERY project.  Is that the information you are seeking?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:07 PM
  • I would like two things please:

1. I'd like the user to be able to see, open, and edit EVERY project.
    2. I'd like the user to be able to Open Project Professional (I'm using 2010) and edit resource availability.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:23 PM
  • HFprojects --

The simplest solution is to add the user to the Administrators group.  If that is not an acceptable option, you would need to create a custom Group and Category for this user to give him/her the requisite permissions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:53 PM