none
How long "candidate for deletion" articles are allowed to stay? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Yesterday I found a new article which was just a question (no answer). I added a tag 'candidate for deletion' with an explanation that the questions without answers not really fitting WiKi objective and that someone who knows the answer may come and improve the article. Today I can not find this article anymore.

Today I found another article again with just a question, so I did the same as yesterday.

I am just wondering that is the general policy of treating such articles and should they be allowed some time before deletion in case someone knows the answer and may share it in that article?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:43 PM

Answers

• Articles with the tag "Candidate for Deletion" used to hang around for a long time (a few years). In recent months one "Area of Focus" for the "Wiki Community Council" has been to clean these up. Peter Geelen took this task and over the past several months has deleted all the old artices with this tag. You used to be able to do a tag search on "Candidate for Deletion" and find many hundreds. Now that we are caught up, Peter occasionally deletes any newly tagged articles. I assume he reviews them briefly before deleting them.

My thought is that an article with a question but no answer is a case where someone posted a question in the wrong place. If they intend to update the article, they should add a tag, like "stub" or "needs work".

Or do you think we should delete the article if it also has the tag "spam", but otherwise leave it for a period of time in case the article gets "fixed"? Now that you are in the Council, we can discuss.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:19 PM

All replies

• Articles with the tag "Candidate for Deletion" used to hang around for a long time (a few years). In recent months one "Area of Focus" for the "Wiki Community Council" has been to clean these up. Peter Geelen took this task and over the past several months has deleted all the old artices with this tag. You used to be able to do a tag search on "Candidate for Deletion" and find many hundreds. Now that we are caught up, Peter occasionally deletes any newly tagged articles. I assume he reviews them briefly before deleting them.

My thought is that an article with a question but no answer is a case where someone posted a question in the wrong place. If they intend to update the article, they should add a tag, like "stub" or "needs work".

Or do you think we should delete the article if it also has the tag "spam", but otherwise leave it for a period of time in case the article gets "fixed"? Now that you are in the Council, we can discuss.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:19 PM
  • If the article is SPAM and marked so, I think there is no need for delay - it needs to be deleted immediately. Similar process should be done for test and duplicates. Pirated content may require a bit more work - the user needs to be contacted personally, etc. Also, there was a case recently when pirated (from stackoverflow) content was turned into a nice article (with references). The OP will get the credit for that article.

If someone posted a problem (that may be much better suited for forum), that may be eventually turned into a good article if someone knows the answer. So, I think about few weeks to keep this article around may be good. I still mark them with 'candidate for deletion' tag, but I may add 'stub' and 'needs work' as well. I think in both recent cases I came upon such articles the articles creators simply chose the wrong place to post the question - I don't think they themselves were thinking of going back and answering.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:32 PM