The "Quick Launch Bar" RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows XP The "Quick Launch Bar" is a list of shortcuts. In Windows 7 when you click it actually opens the item on the left hand side of the Taskbar where as in WIndows XP it opens it on the right side of the bar along with all other open applications. Is there anyway to change it to the XP style Quick Launch?
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• No I mean that I want the icons such as IE in the jump bar to open to the left of the icon in the Taskbar and not the right. Open programs have always been to the left on the Task Bar and I'd like to keep it that way.
    James A+, Network+, MCP

Hi James

Doing some research on this and I haven't found a way to force the program icons to open on the left side of the pinned icons in the Taskbar. This appears to be the designed behavior for opening new programs.

If you find a solution to change this behavior, please let us know.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, December 21, 2009 5:59 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:31 AM

All replies

• See this post by Ronnie Vernon, MS MVP here: Please restore the Quick Launch ... post #4

Complete instructions for doing this. Not a simple setting but it works.
    Rich
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, I would like to share the following with you:

Guided Help: Enable the Quick Launch bar in Windows 7

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:21 AM
  • I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the jump bar or whatever it is called. It is like the Quick Launch but not the same.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean this?

Jump Lists

Using Jump Lists to open programs and items

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, December 14, 2009 10:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, December 14, 2009 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Yes, I want to change the Jump List so items on the Taskbar open to the right of all jump list items and not to the left of the icon. Much like Windows XP.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:21 PM
  • It's actually not the pop up I'm talking about it's not the list it's the icon where the list shows from. Maybe it's called a "pinned icon on the Taskbar"?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:22 PM
  • It's actually not the pop up I'm talking about it's not the list it's the icon where the list shows from. Maybe it's called a "pinned icon on the Taskbar"?
    Hi

Do you mean that you want each instance of a program to appear as a separate icon, instead of having all instances of the program combined into the same icon?

For instance, if you have the Internet Explorer icon pinned to the Taskbar and open several websites, the default behavior is to have all of the websites combined into the same icon on the Taskbar.

You can change this by right clicking the Taskbar and selecting Properties. In the Taskbar Icons section use the drop down menu to select Never Combine. Click Apply/OK. Now open several websites and each website will appear as a separate icon on the Taskbar.

Does this help?

Ronnie Vernon MVP 
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:20 PM
  • No I mean that I want the icons such as IE in the jump bar to open to the left of the icon in the Taskbar and not the right. Open programs have always been to the left on the Task Bar and I'd like to keep it that way.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:37 PM
    James A+, Network+, MCP

Hi James

Doing some research on this and I haven't found a way to force the program icons to open on the left side of the pinned icons in the Taskbar. This appears to be the designed behavior for opening new programs.

If you find a solution to change this behavior, please let us know.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, December 21, 2009 5:59 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:31 AM