none
Windows 2016 Backup fails - Event ID 517 error code '0x807800C5'

Question

• Hi guys,

I recently installed 2 Windows 2016 servers on a Hyper-V 2012 cluster. I'm backing up to a brand new QNAP NAS with *plenty* of storage space (just checked, 11TB available). Verified the access credentials, all good. The 2012 server guests are backing up fine, but the 2016 servers initially failed with the event id 513 CAPI2 error:

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.
    Details:
    AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.
    System Error:
    Access is denied.

I followed the steps mentioned in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/cryptographic-services-failed-while-processing-the/c4274af3-79fb-4412-8ca5-cee721bda112?auth=1 , but to no avail (rebooted the server too).

The backups keep failing with event id 517:

The backup operation that started at '‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎19T01:51:23.118823700Z' has failed with following error code '0x807800C5' (There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

I tried changing the backup selection as well, no success...

I have read about hotfixes for earlier releases of Windows Server. Would there be one for 2016 as well?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

=== Quick update: I just configured and ran the backup on our 2016 domain controller, which is on physical hardware. Same result.

Followed by event ID 513 CAPI2, event id 517 error code 0x807800C5 and event id 1001 

Fault bucket -1483380150, type 5
    Event Name: Windows Server Backup Error
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: 4
    P2: 1
    P3: 0x807800c5
    P4: 0x80780081
    P5: 0x80780081
    P6: 0x807800c5
    P7: 0x80780081
    P8: 0x00000000
    P9: 
    P10: 

Thanks!

• Edited by Ed-man Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

what I ended up doing was creating an iscsi connection between one 2016 server and the NAS, create a backup share on the server pointing to the iscsi disk, and have all 2016 servers back up to that share. Basically a shared iscsi drive on the NAS, with the share being handled by a 2016 server.

The NAS is domain joined, and has 2 teamed Gb nics, so 2 cables going to two different switches. 

Thanks for your thoughts and help guys!

&quotThanks!"

• Marked as answer by Ed-man Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:09 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Ed-man,

> I just configured and ran the backup on our 2016 domain controller, which is on physical hardware. Same result.

If you change to another location, same results? If you try to backup to local drive to do a test. For example, backup the C drive to another drive to do a check, same results?

Please run vssadmin list writers to do a check any more results?

>I have read about hotfixes for earlier releases of Windows Server. Would there be one for 2016 as well?

For now, there's no specific hotfix for server 2016 about such backup failure. I suggest you could make your server patch your server to the latest.

And please also check your VSS storage.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f26eefff-45d9-472c-9c5f-55912821e98a/backup-fails-with-event-id-517?forum=windowsbackup

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Hi Mary,

I did a backup of the c-drive to the local e-drive, which worked. Tried a backup of the c-drive to the NAS, which failed. I ran a vssadmin list writers, no errors, all stable.

I was wondering if the part "There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set." actually means the creation of the vhd file on the target/NAS? I changed the NAS to use SMB 3.0 instead of 2.1, but no luck so far.

I also followed the steps in the link you mentioned, gave the VSS storage 30%. Still failing :-(

&quotThanks!"

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:52 AM
  • Hi Ed-man,

If possible could you please also create another server 2016 VM to do a check. Same results?

And if you not try to backup to NAS, what about another type of hard drive?

If only the NAS shows it, you may also need to consider to consult device manufacturer

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/64bd3b8f-98da-49fd-a144-4e1b359733be/vss-full-backup-fails-on-windows-server-2012-0x807800c5?forum=windowsbackup

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:39 AM
  • Hi Mary,

thanks! I changed the settings according to the link you provided, but no result, still failing.

As a matter of fact, I have 3 servers installed with 2016 (latest updates), 1 of which is a physical server, and 2 are virtual, running on Hyper-V 2012. So on the physical machine, the local backup of the c drive works when doing it to the e drive.

I did a backup to a share on a virtual 2016 server, which worked straight away.

So what would be the difference between 2012 and 2016 where it comes to backup requirements? I've changed the NAS to SMB 3.0, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

When I do a get-smbserverconfiguration on both 2012 and 2016 machines, there are a few differences:

AnnounceComment                

AnnounceComment                

AnnounceServer                 

False

AnnounceServer                 

False

AsynchronousCredits            

AsynchronousCredits            

AuditSmb1Access                

False

AutoDisconnectTimeout          

AutoDisconnectTimeout          

AutoShareServer                

True

AutoShareServer                 

True

AutoShareWorkstation           

True

AutoShareWorkstation           

True

CachedOpenLimit                

CachedOpenLimit                

DurableHandleV2TimeoutInSeconds

DurableHandleV2TimeoutInSeconds

EnableAuthenticateUserSharing  

False

EnableAuthenticateUserSharing  

False

EnableDownlevelTimewarp        

False

EnableDownlevelTimewarp        

False

EnableForcedLogoff             

True

EnableForcedLogoff             

True

EnableLeasing                   

True

EnableLeasing                  

True

EnableMultiChannel             

True

EnableMultiChannel             

True

EnableOplocks                  

True

EnableOplocks                  

True

EnableSecuritySignature        

True

EnableSecuritySignature        

True

EnableSMB1Protocol             

True

EnableSMB1Protocol             

True

EnableSMB2Protocol             

True

EnableSMB2Protocol             

True

EnableStrictNameChecking       

True

EnableStrictNameChecking       

True

EncryptData                    

False

EncryptData                    

False

IrpStackSize                   

IrpStackSize                   

KeepAliveTime                  

KeepAliveTime                   

MaxChannelPerSession           

MaxChannelPerSession           

MaxMpxCount                    

MaxMpxCount                    

MaxSessionPerConnection        

MaxSessionPerConnection        

MaxThreadsPerQueue             

MaxThreadsPerQueue             

MaxWorkItems                   

MaxWorkItems                   

NullSessionPipes               

NullSessionPipes               

netlogon,samr,lsarpc,SQL\QUERY,EPMAPPER,LOCATOR,TrkWks,TrkSvr

NullSessionShares              

NullSessionShares              

OplockBreakWait                

OplockBreakWait                

PendingClientTimeoutInSeconds  

PendingClientTimeoutInSeconds  

RejectUnencryptedAccess        

True

RejectUnencryptedAccess        

True

RequireSecuritySignature       

True

RequireSecuritySignature       

True

ServerHidden                   

True

ServerHidden                    

True

Smb2CreditsMax                 

Smb2CreditsMax                 

Smb2CreditsMin                 

Smb2CreditsMin                 

SmbServerNameHardeningLevel    

SmbServerNameHardeningLevel    

TreatHostAsStableStorage       

False

TreatHostAsStableStorage       

False

ValidateAliasNotCircular       

True

ValidateAliasNotCircular       

True

ValidateShareScope             

True

ValidateShareScope             

True

ValidateShareScopeNotAliased   

True

ValidateShareScopeNotAliased   

True

ValidateTargetName             

True

ValidateTargetName             

True

I changed the values on the 2016 server to the 2012 values and restarted the wbengine. Still no success.

&quotThanks!"

Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:55 AM
  • The funny thing is that the backup manages to create the server folder, the 'Catalog' folder, the MediaId file, and the actual Backup folder with today's date. It even creates a 4MB VHDX file and then fails. What happens after this file has been created? Does it switch protocols?

&quotThanks!"

Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:27 AM
  • Hi Ed-man,

According to the windows server backup mechanism, if you run a backup, Windows Server Backup will create a VHD file. Then Windows will create a shadow copy of target backup drive where stores the image backup. If you keep running scheduled backups, a lot of shadow copies will be taken. Though there may be one VHD file or VHDX file.

For now, I haven't found the updates on server backup between server 2012R2 and server 2016 from Microsoft.

>So on the physical machine, the local backup of the c drive works when doing it to the e drive.

> did a backup to a share on a virtual 2016 server, which worked straight away.

>I've changed the NAS to SMB 3.0, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

If possible, could you please try other type of drive. Not a NAS. And check the results?

Best Regards,

Mary

Friday, September 22, 2017 1:38 AM
  • Hi !!

I have the same problem with Windows Server 2016 starting from last week and an smb2 nas. Did you resolve the issue?

Thanks.

Adl Srl

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

We also experienced similar behaviour whilst backing up to a linux SMB share - we discovered that we needed to add the AD computer account of the server that the backup up to the 'valid users = ' variable within our smb.conf on the destination server.

e.g.

[test-share]
        path = /testshare
        valid users = myuseraccount,"DOMAIN\COMPUTER_ACCOUNT_NAME$"
        writable = yes

Obviously the samba instance needs to be domain joined for this to work.

Best Regards

Josh

Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Hi Ed-man,

I have exact the same issue backing up to other local drive or to a connected USB drive.

Even when I am doing a simple: wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:e:

Same outcome: Backup creates the backup folder, the 'Catalog' folder, the MediaId file, and the actual Backup folder with today's date. It also creates a 4MB VHDX file and then fails.

Did you find a solution for this issue?

Thanks

Mike

Sunday, February 18, 2018 7:34 PM
  • Hi,

if this can help you, I resolved my issue after a complete nas reset and with new samba share on a fresh file system.

Bye!

Adl Srl

Monday, February 19, 2018 7:57 AM
  • I had almost exact same problem. Server 2016 trying to backup to a shared folder on a Server 2008, fails with 0x807800C5.

All accounts, DNS, permissions, etc were good.

What solved the problem was I plugged Server 2016 into a different port on the switch with a different network cable. Now all wbadmin tasks run great.

I have seen cases where Windows installation would either dislike a certain network cable or even refuse to work with it altogether even when the cable tester says it's good and another Windows installation works just fine on it. So my advice is try a different port and a different cable.

Also what I was going to try but didn't since I got it to work was going directly server-to-server as both my servers are in close proximity and both have extra nics. So if that's an option for you you can try that as well, depending what nics you have may or may not need a crossover cable.

Monday, February 19, 2018 10:29 PM
  • Hi Mike,

what I ended up doing was creating an iscsi connection between one 2016 server and the NAS, create a backup share on the server pointing to the iscsi disk, and have all 2016 servers back up to that share. Basically a shared iscsi drive on the NAS, with the share being handled by a 2016 server.

The NAS is domain joined, and has 2 teamed Gb nics, so 2 cables going to two different switches. 

Thanks for your thoughts and help guys!

&quotThanks!"

• Marked as answer by Ed-man Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:09 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:09 AM
  • Very old post, found via Google.
    For anyone.
    Not the prettiest solution but: 
    Go to Disk Manager in Windows --> Create VHD --> location on your NAS --> initialize and configure disk.
    Now you can configure the backup to write to the VHD.

• Proposed as answer by MadsMax Wednesday, August 15, 2018 8:06 PM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have a Synology NAS as my backup to disk solution for Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 Windows Backup Admin is working for these versions, however appears to be a Windows issue affecting Windows Server 2016 versions only.

I’ve tired updating Windows, reinstalling the Windows Backup Admin role, switching between UNC vs. IP address for network paths, building new backup scripts as batch and PowerShell, troubleshooting Event Viewer logs… all of switch didn’t resolve the issue.

The following error in Event Viewer is logged “Windows 2016 Backup fails - Event ID 517 error code '0x807800C5'”.

If you shadow the backup job via CMD “wbadmin get status” and the GUI Windows Server Backup you can see the backup job sits at 0% and 0KB of data is transferred.

If you shadow disk management, rescan disks you will notice the backup job mounting the .vhdx but disks aren’t initialized or configured and are in read only mode appears to be an issue only with Windows Server 2016 data can’t be written the .vhdx and the backup to the NAS unit fails.

A cheap way to fix this is to:

1. You will need some spare disk space on Windows file server
    2. Setup a shared folder with the required share/NTFS permissions as the temporary backup destination
    3. Modify your backup script job to point the new destination, and run the backup script
    4. The backup to a Windows file server will complete successfully
    5. Go to your NAS and delete the backup folder it will be named after your server hostname
    6. Copy the source files from your successful backup located on the Windows file server over to your NAS
    7. Remodify your backup script job to point back to your NAS
    8. Run your backup scripts and it should work and you can continue using your NAS as backup destination
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:01 AM
  • the above works - I just did 1 local backup to usb, then copied contents over to the network share folder, then the NAS backups worked. Ridiculous! i just really don't expect this rubbish in 2018...
    Monday, August 20, 2018 11:11 PM
  • Hi guys,

I hopefully have a solution for this.

I have had the same fuck in my testlab as well as at a customer.

In my testlab with QNAP NAS I did the following:

QNAP Update to image 4.2.6 date 2018-07-11
    SMB v3 activated
    Jumbo Frame tested > 1500 is OK
    At SRV2016 Support forSMB v1 deinstalled
    Performance Settings Windos Server Backup to User defined: System reserved = complete, C: = complete

I think the main thing is the setting in Windows Server Backup!!

First I made a manual Backup in the GUI, afterwards I made it with batch and taskplanner > works!

Hope my translation is good enough, that you can understand what I am telling here ...

Regards

Jens

Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:47 PM