none
SharePoint Migration Tool Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to migrate my SharePoint 2013 site to Office 365. After providing valid credentials on both sides, when i select the site and press Next button, i face the below error. Unfortunately, there is not much details on this error.

enter image description here

Sorry, you can’t create this site. Please enter a different Sharepoint Online site URL or contact your administrator.

enter image description here

I tried different names but each time i get the same error.

Please advise.

Muhammad Zeeshan Tahir MCP, MCSC SharePoint Core and Advance Solutions

Monday, July 29, 2019 12:43 PM

All replies

• I am having the same exact issue. I am going  from tenant to tenant and I was informed that the Migration Tool does not do online tenant to online tenant. It would be easy to say start from scratch but this is Microsoft we are talking about. They have tools for everything (speaking with optimism). 
    Monday, July 29, 2019 1:42 PM
  • I was able to solve this problem.

The reason was permissions issue. The account you are using on on-premise and SP Online should be a Site Collection Administrator on both sides and should use only one account. Microsoft do not handle the usage of two different accounts on both sides. Finally i was able to migrate my first site, however, when the site was successfully migrated, i lost access to that site in SP online. It says access denied, i suspect that it did not retained permissions. Going further in troubleshooting.

Thanks

Update: The permissions issue got fixed automatically. I just had to wait for some time after the migration was successful and the site started appearing in my list.

Muhammad Zeeshan Tahir MCP, MCSC SharePoint Core and Advance Solutions

• Edited by Xeeshan Tahir Wednesday, July 31, 2019 12:13 PM new update
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:06 AM