Rename AD RMS Certification, is it possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Help please.

So it's been a long day and stupid me, I named the certification incorrectly in our test environment.

The AD RMS server name is SVR1-ADRMS.domain.local

Stupid me on the wizard, 

I named the Licensing Server: https://SVR1-ADRSM.domain.local/_wmcs/licensing

and the Certification: https://SVR1-ADRSM.domain.local/_wmcs/certification/certification.asmx.

Fortunately I'm able to rename the licensing server from the AD RMS console properties to https://SVR1-ADRMS.domain.local/_wmcs/licensing.

But then I see that I'm not able to rename the certification and also the database name through the console properties.

Is there an easy way to rename it back to the correct name or I will just need to remove the RMS ROLE and RE-ADD it?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Friday, December 28, 2012 1:20 AM

Answers

• Hello.

You cannot change name from the UI, also all content protected will use such (old) path embedded on it.

Just wanted to highlight that AD RMS cluster name should have the following:

--  FQDN (cannot be changed later at least easily)

-- Use SSL (cannot be changed later at least easily, it is also required for fed/O365)

-- Must be accessible from the internet (if not client will be forced t oVPN in to get into content, also required for some third-party Mobile devices solutions) (path can be just defined making sure than when needed you can enable internet access in your firewalls to it)

-- A best practice is define a path that can be accessible from both intranet/the internet

-- Use same path for intranet/Extranet URLs

With that I can tell you can avoid 90% of AD RMS design/deployment issues in the future.

Cristian

@SYNERGYSEC

SynergyAdvisors.biz

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Nevermind. I decommissioned, removed the role and start over.

All is well now. :)

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Hello.

You cannot change name from the UI, also all content protected will use such (old) path embedded on it.

Just wanted to highlight that AD RMS cluster name should have the following:

--  FQDN (cannot be changed later at least easily)

-- Use SSL (cannot be changed later at least easily, it is also required for fed/O365)

-- Must be accessible from the internet (if not client will be forced t oVPN in to get into content, also required for some third-party Mobile devices solutions) (path can be just defined making sure than when needed you can enable internet access in your firewalls to it)

-- A best practice is define a path that can be accessible from both intranet/the internet

-- Use same path for intranet/Extranet URLs

With that I can tell you can avoid 90% of AD RMS design/deployment issues in the future.

Cristian

@SYNERGYSEC

SynergyAdvisors.biz

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:43 PM