none
DPM Scheduled Jobs at Wrong Time After Adding Additional Clustered Hyper-V in Wrong Time Zone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

DPM 2012 running on Server 2008R2 in a VM

The VM is running in a Highly Available Hyper-V 4 node failover cluster all with time zone London (UTC +0)

DPM Protection Group protecting all other VM's in the cluster - single backup 22:00 daily, retain 7 days, sync just before creating a recovery point.

This has been running successfully for a considerable time (since DPM2007SP1 TAP)

I added two new hosts to the cluster

Unfortunately the timezone was set wrongly on the new hosts and they were originally the default Pacific Time (UTC -8)

Now the jobs for this protection group are scheduled for 06:00 (8 hours behind)

I have tried:

• recreating the Protection Group (with retain data)
    • removing the protection agent from the new hosts and reinstalling

Nothing seems to get the jobs scheduled back to the correct time.

Before I remove the hosts from the cluster altogether does anyone have any thoughts.

Any help will be much appreciated (although not in a monetary sense)

Thanks

Billy

• Edited by Billy_Clark Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:42 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You must remove the agents on the DPM server, then reinstall the agents while the machines are in the desired time zones.

See How to Change the Time Zone of a File Server or Workstation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808864.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You must remove the agents on the DPM server, then reinstall the agents while the machines are in the desired time zones.

See How to Change the Time Zone of a File Server or Workstation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808864.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks but i've already tried this (sort of).

DPM would not allow me to uninstall the DPM agent as there was still protected data and DPM presumed the nodes were still part of the cluster so I:

• Moved all the VM from the new nodes
    • Evicted the nodes from the cluster
    • Uninstalled the DPM from via control panel on cluster node
    • Checked the times zones
    • Rebooted the new cluster nodes
    • Reinstalled the DPM agent manually
    • Set the DPM server by running SetDpmServer.exe – dpmServerName <DPM server name>

This did not work and was the point I was at when I started this thread

I couldn't allow the backups to run for another cycle at the wrong time so last night I gave up and:

• Moved the VM from the new cluster nodes
    • Evicted the nodes from the cluster
    • Removed the protection group choosing to delete the data (I already had a secondary copy on another DPM server)
    • Uninstalled the DPM agent via DPM console
    • Checked all the time zones were correct on all nodes
    • Added the the new nodes back into the cluster
    • Recreated the protection group as previous

After the initial snapshots were created the scheduled backup are all now at the correct time.

Thanks for your help

Billy Clark

• Edited by Billy_Clark Friday, November 9, 2012 10:32 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 10:29 AM
  • I faced the same problem and wrote an article about that. Try to google "Resolve DPM Agents Time Zone problems quickly". It was a pretty simple approach. I had dozen of servers with the same problem.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:17 AM