Vista is not booting past the green loading bar....PLEASE HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• My HP notebook with Vista Home Premium will not boot past the green loading bar... The bar goes 2/3 of the way and stops and the computer is frozen. I've tried pressing F8 (before the vista screen is loading)  and going through each of the options to resolve my problem, but it takes me back to the screen with the green loading bar and freezes. It will never boot all the way through. I've try using the recovery disk and performing a system recovery, but I get  a screen that states the "Windows is setting up" and a white bar moves slowly across the screen until it reaches the end and than the screen changes to the green loading bar and freezes. I've also tried pressing F11 to perform a system recovery but I get the same result. After many attempts, I took the hard drive out of the laptop and connected it to a hard drive enclosure kit and stuck it via usb into another cpu of mine and it shows up fine. It shows up as a external hard drive. I ran a virus check on it and it checks out fine. Can someone please help I have been spending hours on this thing. Please some guru...HELP!!!!

I will check every couple of hours...Thanks everyone for your support!

Kindest regards,

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:10 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

The issue can be caused by a corrupt or incompatible driver.

I suggest trying a Startup Repair to troubleshoot the issue first.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

===========================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press any key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, time, currency, and a keyboard or input method. Then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

If the issue persists, I suggest backing up important files on your computer, formatting the drive and then reinstalling Windows Vista. You can also restore the system to its factory settings.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:59 AM