Problems with reminder window for recurrent appointments RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with reminders in outlook 2016 running under Windows 7.

When I make an appointment in the outlook calendar then within the reminder period a reminder is shown. When I change the appointment to a recurrent appointment then the reminder disappears from the reminder window.

The problem occurs in outlook.exe of Office 2016 Professional Plus. My OS system is Windows 7.

In the past with a previous issue of Office 2016 Pro Plus (HUP version bought in 2015) it worked fine.

I therefor reinstalled a backup of the OS and the old HUP version of office that worked well. However I noticed that the register partition was not backed up. So I had the copy of the old OS and old office but kept the new register. When I opened with the old office an old *.pst file with recurrent appointments these appointments were shown in the reminder window. However, when I change something in the appointment (set busy to free or change the reminder period) then the appointment vanishes from the reminder window. I concluded that the Windows register is the cause of the problem.

Can someone confirm that the Windows register is the cause of the problem and can someone tell how to correct it.

Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Arjan de Vries.

>>I also found that for appointment for which the reminder did pop up and I do not dismiss the reminder then the reminder is also popping up after I close Outlook and start it up again, even when the restart of Outlook is within the reminder period.

Yes, I got the same results with you when tested here.

I've researched a lot and currently, I haven't found official articles. As this function is same in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016, It may be by design.

To avoid missing reminders, we may set the reminder alert started in a future time.

Besides, if you have concern about this function, I'd like to recommend you send our team a feedback via File > Feedback.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, June 29, 2018 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arjan de Vries1 Monday, July 2, 2018 9:05 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>When I change the appointment to a recurrent appointment then the reminder disappears from the reminder window.

What the detailed version of Outlook 2016? I can reproduce this situation in Outlook 2016 1805 (Build 9330.2087) and Outlook 2016 MSO(16.0.4639.1000). Currently, I haven’t found official articles about whether this is by design or an issue.

>> When I opened with the old office an old *.pst file

Did you make a system restore? If yes, normally, the register will be restored too.

What do you mean by “old Office with an old pst file? Are you using POP account?

Please post back with more details for further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:00 AM
  • Dear Perry,

Thanks for your reply.

My Outlook version is: Version 1805 (Build 9330.2124). I checked the issue with someone else who has also Office professional plus and there the same problem occurs. Hence I concluded that it is not due to my installation or my computer but is a problem of the Outlook program.

I did make a system backup with the Nero Imagetool (with startup disk in linux created in 2010). It was possible to make an image of partitions or of an entire disk. I installed Windows 7 in 2013. Since I did not know at that time that in Windows 7 the register was on a seperate partition I made only an image of the partition with the system files and programs (so without the register partition). Hence when I restored the old Windows 7 (created in 2015) and the Office 2016 HUP version, the register file was not restored and I assume the new register file was used instead.

I am indeed using a POP3 account. With the old *.pst file I mean a *.pst backup file created in 2015 or 2016, which contained the calendar with recurrent appointments creating reminders in the reminder window.

I hope this is sufficient information to further explore the problem.

Arjan de Vries.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:38 PM
  • I can confirm this issue mentioned, running the Outlook 2016 desktop application on 1805 (build 9330.2124). Whenever a recurrent appointment is set up, the reminder disappears and can in no way be returned to visible state again.

Windows 10 Professional, 1803 Spring Update 2018

Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:10 PM
  • Hi Arjan de Vries.

>>When I change the appointment to a recurrent appointment then the reminder disappears from the reminder window.

Here is my test result:

Environment: Windows 10, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016 1805 (Build 9330.2087) and Outlook 2016 MSO(16.0.4639.1000).

If I set a previous time as the reminder time, reminder will disappear from Reminder Window when I change it to a recurrent appointment. For example, the current time is 10am, I create an appointment at 10.30am and set reminder to 1 hour.

If I set the reminder alert in the future, it will still pop up and show reminders in the Reminder Window.

Same results are in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016. Is this the same case of you? I've researched a lot and currently, I haven't found related official articles.

How do you set the reminder time? The reminder doesn’t pop up at all?

If this is not the case for you, we could test it in safe mode. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. 

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, June 22, 2018 2:33 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2018 2:32 AM
  • Dear Perry,

I created a new appointment, made it recurrent (yearly) and gave it a reminder period which started after the present moment. And indeed, same as you noticed the appointment popped up in the reminder window.

If I give it a reminder period which had already started it did not pop up.

So I found the same results as you. Thus the problem is reduced to recurrent appointments with a reminder for which the reminder period has already started.

I also found that for appointment for which the reminder did pop up and I do not dismiss the reminder then the reminder is also popping up after I close Outlook and start it up again, even when the restart of Outlook is within the reminder period.

Arjan de Vries.

Monday, June 25, 2018 3:20 PM
  • Hi Arjan de Vries.

>>I also found that for appointment for which the reminder did pop up and I do not dismiss the reminder then the reminder is also popping up after I close Outlook and start it up again, even when the restart of Outlook is within the reminder period.

Yes, I got the same results with you when tested here.

I've researched a lot and currently, I haven't found official articles. As this function is same in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016, It may be by design.

To avoid missing reminders, we may set the reminder alert started in a future time.

Besides, if you have concern about this function, I'd like to recommend you send our team a feedback via File > Feedback.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, June 29, 2018 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arjan de Vries1 Monday, July 2, 2018 9:05 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:30 AM